Pointless things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have lived close to Enderby for a good number of years I didn’t know it had a quarry or a latte shoe factory.Ibelieve it has or had a very good brass band.

As matter of interest were was the quarry situated?
There have been at least 4 Quarries in Enderby, the first you will encounter coming from Desford is on the left just past the Next headquarters and over the M69 with the EH Smith offices in what was the Quarry office, there is a later Quarry further on up the road that turns left into the industrial estate* just after that and a 3rd on the other side of the road that is now an industrial estate also, this is before you climb the hill (made of Granite) to the pub which is now an Indian restaurant and 'Wickhams' shop opposite which is now a pub.There used to be a railway bridge over the B582 (Desford Rd) that was a branch line down to Narborough solely for gravel wagons but that was demolished years ago although part of the disused line is now a cyclepath. If you carry on down the B582 past the Church towards the 'Foxhunter' roundabout there is what was another quarry opposite the school (Brockington College) with the Stone face still visible although the majority of the hole is filled in and there used to be the Scout Hut on the field formed by filling the hole (this is before you cross the M1 Bridge.
BTW most of the stone used in the construction of the M69 was quarried in Enderby what with it being so close. :laugh:

* The 'big' quarry was the only one operating when I was a youth, it closed in the late 80s and then they spent about 10 yrs filling it up again with rubbish, luckily they installed pipework to harvest the (mainly) Methane gas and now there is a generating plant that feeds into the National Grid through the big 'Substation' at the bottom of Beggars Lane on Desford Rd.

pawl

Legendary Member
There have been at least 4 Quarries in Enderby, the first you will encounter coming from Desford is on the left just past the Next headquarters and over the M69 with the EH Smith offices in what was the Quarry office, there is a later Quarry further on up the road that turns left into the industrial estate* just after that and a 3rd on the other side of the road that is now an industrial estate also, this is before you climb the hill (made of Granite) to the pub which is now an Indian restaurant and 'Wickhams' shop opposite which is now a pub.There used to be a railway bridge over the B582 (Desford Rd) that was a branch line down to Narborough solely for gravel wagons but that was demolished years ago although part of the disused line is now a cyclepath. If you carry on down the B582 past the Church towards the 'Foxhunter' roundabout there is what was another quarry opposite the school (Brockington College) with the Stone face still visible although the majority of the hole is filled in and there used to be the Scout Hut on the field formed by filling the hole (this is before you cross the M1 Bridge.
BTW most of the stone used in the construction of the M69 was quarried in Enderby what with it being so close. :laugh:

* The 'big' quarry was the only one operating when I was a youth, it closed in the late 80s and then they spent about 10 yrs filling it up again with rubbish, luckily they installed pipework to harvest the (mainly) Methane gas and now there is a generating plant that feeds into the National Grid through the big 'Substation' at the bottom of Beggars Lane on Desford Rd.

pawl

Legendary Member
Thanks for that.I drive down that road fairly frequently. Never realised that Enderby had a history of quarrying like so much of local recent history covered by modern developments.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for that.I drive down that road fairly frequently. Never realised that Enderby had a history of quarrying like so much of local recent history covered by modern developments.
No they can't build on any of the former quarries what with them being used for landfill but where the crushing plants, stockpiles and machinery was is now the industrial estates.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Whereas Leicester changed it's name completely from Ratae in Roman times. :becool:

I remember the local Leicester Hells Angels called themselves Ratae back in the day, an annoying bunch if ever there was one.

Croft is over your way, is the club still going I watched the DT's there a few times many years ago, a great band.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I remember the local Leicester Hells Angels called themselves Ratae back in the day, an annoying bunch if ever there was one.

Croft is over your way, is the club still going I watched the DT's there a few times many years ago, a great band.
Not sure about Croft club, it closed then re-opened then closed again not sure of it's current status. As for the DT's Steve Marriot pretty much ended the band after he joined, Steve Walwyn got asked by Lee Brilleaux to join Dr Feelgood in 89 and he still plays with them although he does some solo stuff these days. The DT's reformed with the original guitarist 'Big Al' Taylor* in the 90s but that fell apart after him and Simon 'Honeyboy' Hickling fell out (shame really as they'd been mates from school) and nowadays Craig and Chas play in a group called 'The Razors' whilst Simon has 'The Honeyboy Hickling Band'
A few years back the DT's got together again for a few gigs near Christmas and that carried on for a couple of years til Simon got the hump (they were getting bigger crowds than his band) and called it quits but I still regularly see and have a natter with them all in their various bands.

* 'Big Al' Taylor is from Enderby and I've known him since I was about 8, he was at school with one of my cousins.

View: https://youtu.be/5KRABaCgxIM

Oh and yeah the 'Ratae' were a nasty bunch.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not sure about Croft club, it closed then re-opened then closed again not sure of it's current status. As for the DT's Steve Marriot pretty much ended the band after he joined, Steve Walwyn got asked by Lee Brilleaux to join Dr Feelgood in 89 and he still plays with them although he does some solo stuff these days. The DT's reformed with the original guitarist 'Big Al' Taylor* in the 90s but that fell apart after him and Simon 'Honeyboy' Hickling fell out (shame really as they'd been mates from school) and nowadays Craig and Chas play in a group called 'The Razors' whilst Simon has 'The Honeyboy Hickling Band'
A few years back the DT's got together again for a few gigs near Christmas and that carried on for a couple of years til Simon got the hump (they were getting bigger crowds than his band) and called it quits but I still regularly see and have a natter with them all in their various bands.

* 'Big Al' Taylor is from Enderby and I've known him since I was about 8, he was at school with one of my cousins.

View: https://youtu.be/5KRABaCgxIM

Oh and yeah the 'Ratae' were a nasty bunch.

View: https://youtu.be/JTavoGJsgeg

Top Bottom