Polar Cycle Computer... Oddometer Accuracy - AGHHH!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paceline_Addict

The oddometer reading recorded by my Polar computer is way inaccurate, despite the set-up/installation instructions having been followed during fitting - basically, it's over estimating mileage.

Surely, the wheel circumfrence measurment (for the purposes of setting-up the computer), is determined by the distance of the spoke magnet from the top edge of the tyre and so this distance needs deducting from the total wheel/tyre circumfrence to ensure accuracy?

Anyone able to help me out with this... according to my current time/distance reading, I'm the current TT World Champion over 25 miles!

Cheers - Addict.
;)

peanut

ok I'll take the bait.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The distance that the magnet is from the centre of the wheel is not relevant is it ?
The computer registers how many times your magnet passes the sensor . It doesn't matter if your magnet is 2" or 20" from the centre of your wheel it will always only register one revolution for one revolution of your wheel.

Now here is the clever bit. ;)

The computer knows the circumferance of your wheel and tyre (because you tell it) so it can measure how many inches or centimetres your bike travels every revolution of your wheel. It then compares the distance traveled with the time expired ( it registers time also;)) and voila it can tell your speed,average speed , max speed and lots of other stuff as well. simples:biggrin:

welcome to the forums by the way.

Hont

Guru
peanut's answer is perfect. I'll just add that to set it up properly you should mark a point on the ground then roll your bike forward in a dead straight line one revolution. Then measure the distance travelled to get the circumference of the wheel. If you roll it forward two revolutions and divide by two, it should be even more accurate - roll it forward ten and divide by ten and it should be cock on.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Hont said:
peanut's answer is perfect. I'll just add that to set it up properly you should mark a point on the ground then roll your bike forward in a dead straight line one revolution. Then measure the distance travelled to get the circumference of the wheel. If you roll it forward two revolutions and divide by two, it should be even more accurate - roll it forward ten and divide by ten and it should be cock on.

Provided, or course, that the tyres are inflated to the pressure that you normally ride, and that you are actually ON the bike when you do the rollout measurement.

Now...how accurate does a cycle computer need to be? Should you do this measurement every 1000 miles to compensate for tyre wear? (just kidding) :tongue:

peanut

cycle computers are pretty crude things. I'd be surprised if they were accurate to within 10% .Most cars arn't even that accurate which is why the cps never prosecute unless you exceed 10%+2mph

peanut

User3143 said:
I'll think you find they do, that is only ACPO guidelines. Get caught doing 32mph near a school and a NIP is in the post.

I would recommend you do some googling or go see a Solicitor.

edit : oh I see you were not personally caught speeding ! you are just making an assumption without checking . Well i can assure you that the guideline is 10% + 2mph to be sure of a prosecution.
here are the guidelines
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm

peanut

User3143 said:
Guidelines?!?! Off a ''Speed trap'' awareness site? Thank you for posting an unbiased link.
stop stirring things up as usual lee and lets get back on topic shall we. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

Paceline_Addict

Thanks Guys... 'spesh Peanut - Spot-on advice and answer. I'd got totally the wrong end of the stick in relation to the position of the magnet/sensor and wheel circumference.

I'll re-input the wheel measurements in the computer and go from there. Maybe I am the new World 25 mile TT champ then... NOT! ;)

Brill forum, BTW... keep it real guys and speak soon.

Addict.

Greenbank

Über Member
peanut said:
cycle computers are pretty crude things. I'd be surprised if they were accurate to within 10% .Most cars arn't even that accurate which is why the cps never prosecute unless you exceed 10%+2mph

Car speedometers are analogue (ok, some are digital, but those are relatively new), which makes them hard to read accurately. That's why there's some leeway given.

Cyclecomputers are digital (ok, except the really old analogue speedometers), counting invididual wheel revolutions. If they're out by 10% it's because the wheel measurement you entered is out by 10%.

peanut

Greenbank said:
Car speedometers are analogue (ok, some are digital, but those are relatively new), which makes them hard to read accurately. That's why there's some leeway given.

Cyclecomputers are digital (ok, except the really old analogue speedometers), counting invididual wheel revolutions. If they're out by 10% it's because the wheel measurement you entered is out by 10%.

digital or analogue makes not a jot of difference the input is still revolutions counted against time .
The electronics in the average cycle computer is pretty crude . It is also only as good as the information input.
Counting the revolutions of a wheel against time is hardly an accurate way of measuring speed and acceleration av speed etc.Its not necessary for a cycle computer to be any more accurate than 10% ie 15mph +/- 0.5mph is plenty accurate enough.

All measuring equipment has what is called an operating tolerance . Check your computer to see what the tolerance is or accuracy

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've spent some time getting my bike computer accurate - and then changed to a different set of tyres and spent lots of time getting it accurate (anyone with 20" tyres with Marathon Plus or Marathon tyres, I can help you!)

I checked it all against my Garmin 205 satnav and they now agree to within .1 of a mile after 30 miles, which is close enough!

Greenbank

Über Member
OK, where to start...

peanut said:
digital or analogue makes not a jot of difference

That point I was talking about an analogue gauge vs a digital display. It's much easier to accurately read a digital display than it is an analogue gauge.

A digital display that reads "23.4" doesn't make people go "23, err, could be 24 though" unlike an analogue speedo does.

Completely separate to this:-

peanut said:
the input is still revolutions counted against time .
The electronics in the average cycle computer is pretty crude . It is also only as good as the information input.
Counting the revolutions of a wheel against time is hardly an accurate way of measuring speed and acceleration av speed etc.

It is a very accurate method, which is why most cycle computers accept wheel dimensions in mm. Cheap electronics to perform sub-second timing has been around for years, in the 80s there were cheap digital watches with stopwatches that can time to within a 100th of a second, whether they were accurate and consistent is another matter.

Speed is easily measured, at 20mph a 700c wheel rotates roughly 4 times a second, so each revolution takes about 1/4 of a second. Looking the figures more closely:-

20mph = 8.9408m/s

My 700c x 25mm tyre has a circumference of 2105mm according to a rollout test.

So the wheel rotates every 0.235437545 seconds (2.105 / 8.9408)

If we assume it's accurate to a thousandth of a second then:-

0.235 seconds per revolution works out at 2.105 * (1/0.235) m/s in mph = 20.037mph (3.d.p.)

0.236 seconds per revolution works out at 2.105 * (1/0.236) m/s in mph = 19.952mph (3.d.p.)

So that's a 0.085mph difference, or 0.425%, at 20mph.

And that's if the cycle computer measures intra-pulse timings at just the thousandth of a second. There's a good chance it'll do it much more accurately than that. Reliable 5kHz quartz timing chips cost nothing and that'd reduce the possible error to under 0.1%.

Note that what the cycle-computer measures and calculates internally may not be what it displays. It does work by counting each wheel revolution (hence it knows whenever I travel 2.105m) but only displays (in odometer mode) tenths of a km (or 100m).

Average speed is trivial to calculate (note, not measure) as it is simply distance traveled (a multiple of the number of wheel revolutions detected) divided by the time elapsed (basic clock circuitry).

I don't know of any cycle computer that measures or displays acceleration, so I'll ignore that red herring.

peanut said:
Its not necessary for a cycle computer to be any more accurate than 10% ie 15mph +/- 0.5mph is plenty accurate enough.

That may be true, but it doesn't mean that they are inaccurate.

In fact, they're surprisingly accurate. The only alternative is that all cycle computers I've got (and I use 3 different ones plus a GPS) are all equally and similarly inaccurate as they all produce reliable similar figures when doing the same route over and over again. My cycle-computer readings are easily to within 0.5% of the same readings from my GPS for both distance travelled and speeds.

peanut said:
All measuring equipment has what is called an operating tolerance . Check your computer to see what the tolerance is or accuracy

A digital counter, such as on a cycle computer, isn't affected by measuring tolerances; it's a pulse counter. Distance wise, it's simply counting pulses from the magnet/reed-switch and then applying a bit of computation (multiplying by the wheel circumference) and then it feeds the display a scaled down version of this number (in km or miles). The binary input (a single pulse) isn't going to be affected by a measuring tolerance.

The timing circuitry may have a slight inherent inaccuracy, as described above, but there'll be hardly any noticeable effect on calculated values, certainly not the odd 10% figure you are quoting.

Finally, observation rules the day. I do long distance cycling. On one 307km ride my cycle computer (and GPS) matched the distances on the routesheet almost perfectly (barring a couple of typos). These distances were taken from the organiser's cycle computer when riding the route to prepare the routesheet. The distances of 15 riders at the finish were all within 1 or 2 km of the 305km distance (some variation is expected as some riders do have a habit of going off route and having to backtrack when they realise). This is over a spread of makes and models of cycle computers.

Top Bottom