Police attitudes toward cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

http://crapwalthamforest.blogspot.com/2008/09/crap-policing.html

When it comes to London’s crap traffic policing Jenny Jones of the London Assembly has described the difficulties:

The Met Police halved the number of traffic police and regarded road safety as a very low priority. Drivers have spent the last decade or more thinking that they can break the law in London and get away with it. The result is that in some parts of London, a quarter of all people injured in traffic collisions are victims of hit and run drivers.

At its worst

Each week in London 80 people are the victims of hit-and-run drivers.

This figure has doubled in the last two decades. By contrast the number of traffic police has fallen steeply over the same period.(pdf)

Jenny Jones produced an excellent report (pdf) noting that

The Metropolitan Police has failed to treat road crime with the seriousness it deserves.

London’s roads are becoming increasingly lawless in several dangerous ways.

This report describes the rise in “hit-and-run” incidents, the widespread evasion of vehicle tax and insurance, and the declining enforcement of traffic offences not detected by electronic devices, such as speed cameras.

Cuts in the number of traffic police have lead a minority of drivers to believe that they can break the law with impunity. Yet, an increase of 8,000 in the total number of police officers in London over the last six years provided the Met Police with ample opportunity to make road safety a priority .

More people die on London’s roads than are murdered.

Most road deaths are preventable, yet several times more resources are devoted to murder investigations than to road death investigations. The lack of priority given to road crime is demonstrated by the current reluctance of the police to prosecute drivers who injure cyclists or pedestrians, in the absence of independent witnesses . This dismissive approach is not adopted towards the victims of car theft, burglary, assault and other crimes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I would suggest that this has happened because more and more drivers in London come from countries where you don't stop to report an accident and if you hit a pedestrian that's their silly fault for getting in your way.

mary-jane

i would suggets that that's the rozzers' attitude too.
it's all johnny foriegner's fault,nothing to do with the xenophobic,obese,wife-beating,beer-swilling,georges cross sporting,fag smoking,car driving cretins of our own fair shores.

MessenJah

Rider
mary-jane said:
i would suggets that that's the rozzers' attitude too.
it's all johnny foriegner's fault,nothing to do with the xenophobic,obese,wife-beating,beer-swilling,georges cross sporting,fag smoking,car driving cretins of our own fair shores.
Exactly, it's all them poles and africans.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Rigid Raider said:
I would suggest that this has happened because more and more drivers in London come from countries where you don't stop to report an accident and if you hit a pedestrian that's their silly fault for getting in your way.

Um, any evidence for this rather wild claim?

roshi chris

no, cos its rubbish. I live in London and the worst drivers are the people who think they know the rules best (even though they don't) - white van man and his ilk. No doubt in my mind.

MessenJah

Rider
roshi chris said:
no, cos its rubbish. I live in London and the worst drivers are the people who think they know the rules best (even though they don't) - white van man and his ilk. No doubt in my mind.
White 'van drivers' or 'white van' drivers?

Shaun

Founder
If you're a copper and you've got a choice of investigating a serious crime at someone's house / place of work / pub / etc. (where there will no doubt be history / evidence / witnesses / etc.) ... or ... dealing with a road accident where someone in a van / car / whatever vehicle knocked someone / a cyclist down and caused / didn't cause serious injury, but no one knows the registration number or where the van came from or whom it belongs to ... which one do you expect the copper will want to persue?

Sorry, but it's human nature. Chance of an outcome and you'll follow it up. No? :biggrin:

Cab

Heck, turn up at the police station with helmet camera footage and/or eye witness details and they still don't particularly care to look in to car on bicycle road incidents. It isn't just that sometimes these things are hard to investigate, 'cos even when they're easy it isn't a priority for them.

Radius

SHREDDER
Can't say I agree with the idea that it's 'the foreigners' who cause the trouble. In Central London is the angry British cabbies and lorry drivers that swing so close they almost clip your handlebars...

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Traffic in London was bad 10 years ago. I used to cycle to work at Heathrow T3, which involved cycling through the tunnel into the central area and dicing with death between the black cabs and limos.

However, for me Italy is the worst place for bad drivers. Italy has the best orthopedic surgeons in the world due to the high instances of broken bones caused by accidents. Italians do not stop at pedestrian crossings, even when the lights are on red. It was impossible trying to walk my blind father around Naples. In the end I gave up. London is not quite that bad yet.

MartinC

Über Member
Admin said:
If you're a copper and you've got a choice of investigating a serious crime at someone's house / place of work / pub / etc. (where there will no doubt be history / evidence / witnesses / etc.) ... or ... dealing with a road accident where someone in a van / car / whatever vehicle knocked someone / a cyclist down and caused / didn't cause serious injury, but no one knows the registration number or where the van came from or whom it belongs to ... which one do you expect the copper will want to persue?

Sorry, but it's human nature. Chance of an outcome and you'll follow it up. No? ;)

Priceless. So knocking someone down and causing serious injury (your words) isn't a serious crime. Maybe It was intended ironically.

LLB

MartinC said:
Priceless. So knocking someone down and causing serious injury (your words) isn't a serious crime. Maybe It was intended ironically.

I think he is implying that they would be inclined to pursue the case with the most likely chance of solving given the evidence and resources to go on Martin

MartinC

Über Member
Yes, I think you're right. There does seem to be an implicit assumption that one scenario is perceived as 'serious' but the other isn't which made me react.

Top Bottom