Poll: How often do you clean your bike?

How often do you clean your bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
MTB gets washed every ride and the drive train, cables, and pivot points cleaned and lubed, but then again, it usually really needs it!

Weekend bike gets cleaned and polished every few rides, it's my pride and joy so I'd much rather see it clean and gleaming in the shed than encrusted in mud.

Pootling around roadster bikes seem to have such effective mud guards that they don't really need that much cleaning (the low speed might help too!), so very rarely.

Commuter every fortnight or more often if the weather's filthy and there's grit on the road - this is the bike that sees the most miles, so the answer I gave. My wife's bike gets the same treatment.

I enjoy cleaning my bikes, and fettling around with them a bit at the same time, but there are only so many hours in the week!

D

Deleted member 1258

Do bike&car owners clean their bikes more often than their cars? If so, why?

Note I'm not talking about cleaning as part of maintenance, more the getting the crap off it cleaning

I recon its very similar, perhaps the bike a little more, but the bike tends to get more use than the car.

ChrisEyles

Guru
My poor car sees absolutely zero love from me in the way of either cleaning or maintenance, and is an occasional source of guilt and embarrassment when I remember this. Fortunately it seems to keep trogging on regardless. The bikes are positively pampered by comparison, but are much more finnicky and demanding requiring regular tweaking of brake calipers, derailleurs etc etc!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Whenever our Heavenly Father sees fit to bless us with a little more rain.:okay:
Before, during, and after every ride then? :ohmy:

adamangler

Veteran
after every ride, the hose pipe is next to the door..dismount bike turn on tap, hose bike down, give it a shake and take it insides, give everything a liberal spray of gt85. done, takes 2-3 minutes

mustang1

Legendary Member
I answered "carotene when I can be bothered" which applied to all.my bikes except the nice road bike which will not be used in wet weather so typically doesn't need cleaning. I'd like tonsay its currently spotless but I has a few on the down tube.

The other bikes, meh, when I am bothered to do it.

I don't think I enter into any of the categories. I clean my bike after every wet ride (which is most of the time at this time of year) but in the summer I'll only clean when it needs it maybe just once a week.
Exactly, if the bike is dirty it means invariably it was wet, in which case it needs drying and probably lubing. Wet bike components rust, particularly chains, spokes and cables. I can't say I am overly surprised when I read about chains and spokes breaking. It isn't just about cleaning [although a clean bike always seems to go better], it is about maintaining what is my pride and joy.

Top Bottom