Pollard Arrival and Departure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well today i had this parcel arrive , and as you can see it was well packed ......not

pol4.jpg

A few might have already seen this on my Racing Bike Biggs682 facebook page , but being honest i wasnt expecting a lot better after being told by parcel force that it exceeded size allowance which had delayed delivery for 2 days . So it was with some crossing of fingers that i started to unwrap it .

pol5.jpg

As each bit of packaging came off , another part of the bike was revealed and a finger was uncrossed as each bit didnt reveal any transit damage .

pol6.jpg

I expected the dirt and dust etc etc but didnt expect the small dent in the top tube that the seller claims he hadnt seen any dent ( should have gone to specsave )

poll7.jpg

But what i didnt expect was the tools in the Carradice saddle bag 2 of which were Brooks stamped and another 2 were Campagnola ones along with one of those old fashioned yellow capes .

All in all its all there and ok its scruffy but i knew that and it doesnt bother me at all as i think with a bit of a clean and some polish it should shine up ok . Not sure re date as mix of dates found so far hubs are dated weeks 47 and 48 from 1980 whilst the Brooks professional is date stamped Feb 1967 . Got a nice mix of parts ie Normandy large flange hubs ,Dura ace crankset and mechanisms , universal mod 61 calipers and a glorious looking stem and bar set both have IL Primo Di Lussi engraved on them these last 2 bits might end up on my Wester Ross yet .

pol8.jpg

The seatpost looks to be a 27.2mm so i presume its Reynolds 531 tubing there is signs of where a sticker has been in the normal place for a Reynolds one , it seems quite light considering the rear steal rack and steel rimmed 27" wheels .

At the moment the plan is to give it a gentle clean and some fresh grease along with new cables and blocks a set of alloy wheels will be on there way next week so once all that has been done i can start using it and then make a decision .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
An hours tinkering this morning rather than go for a ride.

Has seen the bottom bracket stripped and re assembled, really didn't expect the drive side cup to come out without putting a fight up when I saw this.

WP_20160327_001.jpg

But it surrendered with a 3lb lump hammer . The non drive side didn't put a fight up at all . One Shimano cup and one campagnola one . Inside was nice and clean just a bit short of lube .

WP_20160327_004.jpg

Whilst I was there a quick scrub with a toothbrush and some polish and it looks like the paintwork will scrub up nicely complete with all the patina.

Left the crankset soaking in some hot soapy water .

midlife

Guru
Looks like Shimano 7100 :smile:. Nice frame with the full wraparound seat stays. Is there a letter date code on the cranks?

Shaun

midlife

Guru
Just curious as the frame looks early 70's but the drivetrain mid 80's...........someone kept it alive for a good number of years :biggrin:

Colour made me smile, I wonder if he liked orange :smile: Similar to Geoff Butler bikes which always seemed to be white, maybe got a job lot of paint cheap :biggrin:

Your soapy water seems to be better than mine as well LOL

Shaun

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just found this on the Classic Lightweights web site whilst looking for info on the Brake calipers

" Model 61 – This is Universal’s only centre pull model, introduced to rival ones made popular by Mafac. The callipers are shorter in reach than Mafac ones and the front is shorter than the rear. It incorporates a QR system in the cable stop attached to the head set and a corresponding one is attached to the seat pillar binder bolt at the rear. The return springs are retained on pegs as part of the casting at the back of the calliper. The levers are principally the same as the previous models with a full rubber hood but early models will have pointed ends to the levers. Pro riders like Charly Gaul riding for Fiorelli are seen with these in the 1961 Tour de France. However, their success was suspect, with many continental pro riders preferring the Mafac racer calliper accompanied by Universal levers. It appears in the Holdsworthy catalogues until at least 1976. By this period both callipers were probably equally short to cater for changes in frame design "

which ties in to theory of a 70's frame , will check the date stamping on the cranks 2moro when i do a bit more cleaning , its the rear mechanisms turn 2moro as its so full of crud the jockey wheels dont turn !!!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And you seemed to have bagged a Campag Peanut Butter spanner as well :smile:

$_1.JPG

Shaun

yep :rolleyes: and why are they called peanut butter panner @midlife

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Love the look of this machine, will be great to see this cleaned up.

Looks like we are not going to see this totally cleaned up yet a while as i have hopefully satisfied another persons dream to own a Pollard bike

I'm not really sure, that's just what they have always been called :smile: . Wish I'd kept mine (two), used them for a car job I think. go for about £50 each nowadays......

Shaun

just sounds a strange name ie like its a very soft material , but used it today and its got a nice feel to it

from Wikipedia [so it must be true]:

"Its name is derived from the fact that the wrench handle is reportedly a good size and shape to scoop peanut butter (a fairly cheap energy food for track cyclists) out of the jar."

So you've sold the bike already? You must have special skills (not the Liam Neeson sort, obviously) :notworthy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom