New arrival: Harry Quinn poss. 1959

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This evening I picked up (another) winter project; a 53cm-size c.1959 Harry Quinn. It's missing a seatpost and saddle and will need a new chain but otherwise is in excellent condition - it's been well looked after. I'm not sold on the 'shortie' mudguards though despite having some in the early 1980's.

Not all the parts are original however, with a bit of work, it should do well as a vintage bike. The bars need moving, as does the stem and brake levers. Plus with only a 42 tooth 'large' chainring it'd benefit from a couple of alterations there anyway when I change the chain:

Harry_Quinn.jpg

Oh, and has anyone seen a Zeus Cosmos rear derailleur before?

Harry_Quinn2.jpg

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Under BB cable guides might make it a bit later. Pic on my tablet a bit blurry but are those Nervex lugs?

There is a Harry Quinn frame number registry I think, the Q at the start of the number is a 0 and an l stamped together. And nope, not seen a Zeus Cosmos :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bit about Zeus from the Disraeli site:

'Zeus Industriale SA was established by Don Nicholás de Arregui in Eibar, in the Basque region in 1926. Zeus initially produced small parts, then components and finally complete bicycles. Nicholas de Arregui continued to acquire patents up until about 1964. However from 1958 one José Luis Eibar also started taking out patents (and continued to do so until about 1969). José Luis Eibar appears to claim to be the owner of Zeus in a 1962 advert in Le Cycliste. There’s a weird synchronicity here - both Eibar and Arregui are the names of Basque towns.

Sometime in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s Zeus seemed to have ceased trading. Orbea, also based near Eibar, seem to have bought the name and produced bicycles branded Zeus as recently as 2002. Orbea also use the Zeus name as a house brand for components such as seatpins.'

The Cosmos model is not mentioned though.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Under BB cable guides might make it a bit later. Pic on my tablet a bit blurry but are those Nervex lugs?

There is a Harry Quinn frame number registry I think, the Q at the start of the number is a 0 and an l stamped together. And nope, not seen a Zeus Cosmos :smile:

Yes, looks like Nervex lugs to me. These are the seller's photos and I'll get better ones in daylight.

The frame number is; M74608 - this shows it should be around that time: http://classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Harry_Quinn/HQuinn_registry.htm

The bars look original, as do the Campag levers, but the derailleurs are newer and I know the brakes were changed for Mafac ones. @Cycleops - the Zeus Cosmos dates from the late '80s: https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=50237e98-2b95-4dae-9180-a525b38588e9&Enum=108 It's a nice-looking piece of kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

A brief update on this, now I've sorted a seatpost (26.4mm) and saddle (Ellesse for now, leather Selle Italia shortly).

The wheels are Wolber Super Champion Modele 58 and in very nice condition, nothing needing doing there. The rear Zeus Cosmos derailleur has needed cleaning but is otherwise OK, as is the Suntour BL front one.

The rear brake was oddly routed, so I'll need to swap outer and inner cables a bit. The bars and shifters are adjusted down but I'll probably change the quill stem for something less angled at some point.

Nearly ready for better bar tape, then I'll post an updated set of photos once I've sourced a larger 86bcd chainring - currently the 42/32 setup has been catching on the frame :sad: . That'll be fixed as well and I'll return to larger chainrings with a new chain.

Even on a brief test ride the bike handles well. When finished, with the silly 'shortie' mudguards removed, there will be a longer test ride.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Progress ... of sorts. The paint's had a couple of coats where there was chainring rub but needs a better matching final top-coat.

I've also sourced and added a 52 tooth chainring, with the 42 tooth now going to where it was supposed to be, rather than a 32. New chain later today.

The rear brake cable's been removed ready for new outers and inners, with the 'correct' routing rather than a bodged-up version that was catching the frame. The daft shortie mudguards have also come off and I've moved the front derailleur, adjusting both front and rear.

DSC00276.JPG

Once the chain and brake cable are on, which will be later today, I've to consider bar tape. This is from the parts store until I decide whether to swap the quill stem, so it'll be Deda navy blue or brown. The white Ellesse saddle can also be swapped for a black Selle San Marco leather one, with brown leather saddle bag, so I'm preferring that as I'd like to add some proper leather bar tape at some point.

Also, a replacement rear tyre would help since the front's new with an old rear, but I prefer the traditional look so need a pair.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I've been working on my Avanti last night/early this morning due to a rear wheel freehub / dirt issue. However, the Harry Quinn is finished for use until I pick up a replacement rear tyre:

DSC00277.JPG

New seatpost, new Zefal leather-topped bottle cage, rear brake cable inner/outer and re-routing the rear, new chain with a 52T outer added instead of the 32T inner, new bar tape and I used a Selle San Marco leather saddle plus saddle bag I have spare. The rear wheel nuts have been swapped with a pair of wing nuts I had so I don't need to carry a spanner.

Test ride shortly for lunch out ... and it should appear in some of the retro rides next year rather than me turning up on a Dawes Kingpin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom