Poor brake performance ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The new build has sram apex shifters and the braking power is terrible :sad:
new cables , 3 different sets of calipers, new pads, different wheels and its still very poor .
When you put the brakes on when stopped the wheels dont turn but braking at any speed is more a case of omfg am i going to stop ?

Bit stumped TBH

Have you toed the pads in at the front?

Also try making the shifter slightly closer to the bar so that the cable is taughter and see if makes a difference. If it does this points to slack in the system. Failing that try some compressionless brakeouters

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Degrease the wheel rims?
Seconded!
Okay, I was wrong about my Aksiums braking performance! :whistle:

I took a rag and a lot of degreaser to the rims yesterday and gave them a real good scrub. There must have been some kind of oily film on them because the rag ended up filthy. I did some braking tests with the clean rims.

Previously, on fast downhills I had to exert a death grip on the brake levers which resulted in a lot of screeching but nowhere near enough braking.

After cleaning, I could generate enough braking force from the hoods to bring myself to a very rapid halt from 40 mph. From the drops, I could brake easily using just my right hand index finger, just as I could with my previous wheels in fact.

So, folks - keep those wheel rims clean!
This is what I removed... :eek:

iluvmybike

Über Member
This has got to be down to poor brake set-up or dirty pads/rims. Hve you got any photos of how they are set up

T4tomo

Legendary Member
given the OP has tried several different wheels (which cant all be greasy rimmed surely) and different pads and calipers, the issue must be a defect in the levers somewhere? Apex is decent kit.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve been suffering poor braking performance on my Van Nicholas, new Swisstop shoes have helped slightly, but this thread got my thinking about the rims.

So I cleaned them with kitchen towel and brake cleaner.

6790136C-CA0A-4A2E-9ECB-7277EAB5A4C2.jpeg

A quick run around the block and they bite so much better now, the film of old rubber and grease was obviously the problem.

Top Bottom