Poor Quality Sustrans Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The NCN21 can be a bit of challenge on skinny tyres...

cyclestreets19019-size640.jpg

This is just north of New Addington.
I would not advise anyone to take NCR21 south past new addington on a road bike, after that it's pretty much all off road!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Most of the NCN is a joke.
Nope. Only a vanishingly small % of NCN can be described as a joke.

Badly thought out in the first place and in some places utter madness.
Yep. A much better description. But still considerable better than no NCN at all.

Parts of NCN are, imo, a joy, a wonder, a balm for the soul whilst other bits are, well, just a bit sh1t really.

Nope. Only a vanishingly small % of NCN can be described as a joke.

Yep. A much better description. But still considerable better than no NCN at all.

Parts of NCN are, imo, a joy, a wonder, a balm for the soul whilst other bits are, well, just a bit sh1t really.

I agree. Whilst some people can be unlucky and only have near them one of the crappy bits, I'm lucky enough to have a number of routes nearby, most of which are new, and tarmaced.

e-rider

crappy member
most Sustrans routes have barriers that are too narrow for my kids trailer to fit through. The same is said for the cycle lanes on the school run - I have to use the pavement or the road instead of the cycle lanes as the trailer is too wide! This country is run by idiots!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
most Sustrans routes have barriers that are too narrow for my kids trailer to fit through. The same is said for the cycle lanes on the school run - I have to use the pavement or the road instead of the cycle lanes as the trailer is too wide! This country is run by idiots!
Nope.

Some or many may have such barriers but unlikely to be true that it is most, I'd have thought.

Their own standards..... "A fundamental problem with access control is that whatever arrangement is used, it will represent a compromise between keeping motor vehicles out and allowing legitimate users in. The more effective it is in achieving the former, the harder it
is to satisfy the latter."

My own personal bugbear is A Frame barriers, which probably pass the child trailer test (but may not, I've no experience) but completely fail the Greg "I'm a bit wider and taller than the average Sustrans user" Collins test.

Reactions: mjr

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have to be honest - i use two parts of the NCN round were i live and i can do 37miles on pretty much fully tarmaced or gravelled route without going on the road....and its only half a mile from my front door, i use the route for my commute and during the winter months when the roads can be a bit more tricky

Top Bottom