Poor Quality Sustrans Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rostlr

I've been using the same section of Sustrans NCN route 12 on and off for several years now. The surface of the off-road sections has always been pretty poor - just unimproved farm tracks.Over the past couple of years the condition has either deteriorated or been made worse for cyclists.

I have recently blogged about my experiences on this section of the NCN http://velorichard.wordpress.com/20...cleway-network-route-12-the-good-and-the-bad/

What do other people think about using unimproved routes for the NCN? Is it a widespread problem across the NCN or is the section use very unusual?

As an anecdote, I spoke to a guy riding it last week. He said he enjoyed the rough, muddy sections because the were fun to ride, but his wife won't ride the route precisely because the surface is so bad. Personally, I think if the surface is actively discouraging people from riding it, it shouldn't be badged as a national cycle network.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
There is a section of route 45 between Bridgnorth and Bewdley which is like this. The only alternative is a B road which carries a lot of traffic, most of which seems to be running on warp drive. (Not much of a police presence out there.:secret:)

I'd obviously prefer to ride a well surfaced route but I'm happy to avoid the traffic by using the rough bit. On the other hand I've heard other cyclists moaning that it's completely unrideable.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I've been using the same section of Sustrans NCN route 12 on and off for several years now. The surface of the off-road sections has always been pretty poor - just unimproved farm tracks.Over the past couple of years the condition has either deteriorated or been made worse for cyclists.
What do other people think about using unimproved routes for the NCN? Is it a widespread problem across the NCN or is the section use very unusual?

Well where do we start ? :smile:

Well its not a given route as such ! Some may say even a privilege as its a peoples space so to speak network. Managed with paid and unpaid workers

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You want to try NCN 68 through Hebden Bridge! :eek:

buttress.jpg

What do other people think about using unimproved routes for the NCN? Is it a widespread problem across the NCN or is the section use very unusual?........

Definately!

This is NCN66 on the Rochdale Canal just after it goes under the M62 you have a fine surface like this, not tarmacked but good enough for anything but the skinniest of road tyres:
S5031439.jpg

Now compare it to this 10ish miles further down in Todmorden:

S5031448.jpg

Very muddy and poor surface, its like this for several miles.

Its the main problem with NCN's I think > ATM there is a certain obsession to lay any route possible which gives us stuff like Colin's cobbled hill.

Its not only the surface that needs to be thought about as if you follow NCN66 all the way past Leeds you end up going through some not entirely friendly areas > local knowldege a traveller may not have. The daft thing is on another Sustrans leaflet that part of the route is marked as a 'temporary route' and TBH should have been de-signed and routed onto the newer more southerly route ages ago.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
...and what about stretches of National Cycle Route that go up staircases?

pic

pic
culrainbridge

Maybe it's better than the ten-mile round trip you'd have to take to avoid it, but not by much if you're a little cyclist with a heavy bike (there are lots of steep steps up that bridge!).

...and what about stretches of National Cycle Route that go up staircases?

pic

pic
culrainbridge

Maybe it's better than the ten-mile round trip you'd have to take to avoid it, but not by much if you're a little cyclist with a heavy bike (there are lots of steep steps up that bridge!).
I find this one near me a joke. It hard to make out but it goes down to this car park (top right) and the old railway path under the road in the top left. You can go over the tunnel on the road and navigate the car park maybe (300m total) or you can take the shorter official route down the steep long steps (maybe 100m) and avoid the conflict; I think I'd rather go the longer way and avoid the steps.

Peteaud

Veteran
Most of the NCN is a joke.

Badly thought out in the first place and in some places utter madness.

The NCN21 can be a bit of challenge on skinny tyres...

This is just north of New Addington.

Ha! :wacko:

What is best about that one is this quote on Sustrans: "Open Sections: The route is open and signed as the Downs and Weald cycle route and is also part of the proposed Avenue Verte Greenway linking London and Paris via the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry. Visit the Franco British Cycle Plan website for further information on this route." I could imagine some poor french cyclist turning up and wishing they'd brought a bigger bike lol Whats even more funny is the when I goolged it as the the offical website is dead the 2nd link you can find is from cyclechat 3 years ago, someone needs to update the route guide on Sutrans.....

To be fair I may be laughing at some of these but as a dedicated 'trail rider' I do appreciate the work generally, but some definately need improving!

screenman

Legendary Member
Well at least with anyone who moans about it they should not be short of volunteers, of course nobody would complain and then not do anything to help would they.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well at least with anyone who moans about it they should not be short of volunteers, of course nobody would complain and then not do anything to help would they.
Okay, here's my contribution ... instead of sending NCN 68 up and down The Buttress ...

buttress.jpg

Why not go 300 yards along Hangingroyd Lane and take NCN 68 left up Moss Lane, which although steep, is at least rideable (except for 20 yards at the top) ...

hebden-bridge-steep-road-4.jpg

(Send my consultancy cheque to the usual address! :thumbsup:)

Attachments

• buttress.jpg
    buttress.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 72
  • hebden-bridge-steep-road-4.jpg
    hebden-bridge-steep-road-4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
rostlr

rostlr

Wow, thanks for the posts back.

When Sustrans get it right they can do a fantastic job, but like wiggydiggy says, there does seem to be more interest in laying any route possible and boosting the number of miles on the NCN, regardless whether or not it's suitable

We have a local sustrans group, they organise short local rides and do a lot to promote cycling locally, but a handful of volunteers isn't going to fix national infrastructure. Much of the route I use goes across farmland. The tracks are shared with tractors and combines, plus a few horses and occasional motorbikes. However, I believe, if you are going to call something a national cycling infrastructure, then it needs to be accessible to the average rider on the average bike. Where it goes off road then more often than not that means building a dedicated surface that isn't, for example, shared by heavy farm machinery. That requires cash and construction workers, not volunteers.

The routes near me are very well signed, but good signage doesn't compensate for an unsuitable surface.

As for volunteering, no I don't volunteer for Sustrans, but I'm active in my local club and I help organise and marshal events, so I do give back to the cycling community.

Top Bottom