Porridge - fuel for rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
any help how to make the perfect bowl of porridge ?
At work it's made as it is perfect, similar consistency to rice pudding light and fluffy ..
I make it and however I try it's just starchy gloop ..
So where am I going wrong ?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Buy a box of Scott's porage oats.
Put 50 grammes of oats into a bowl (electronic scales help here).
Pour 300 ml cold milk (weighs 300 gms, conveniently) into bowl.
Place bowl in microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes.
Go and shower or whatever else you do at that time of the morning.
Return after 10/15 minutes and eat the resultant porage. If away longer, reheat as necessary.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
-1 to nuked porridge.

Why not ask work if you like it like that?

I prefer brose: 55g oat bran, add about 150g boiling water, leave until absorbed, add fruit or whatever, eat

vickster

Legendary Member
any help how to make the perfect bowl of porridge ?
At work it's made as it is perfect, similar consistency to rice pudding light and fluffy ..
I make it and however I try it's just starchy gloop ..
So where am I going wrong ?
You need more liquid I’d say

I always microwave mine, half skimmed milk, half water. Bit of cold milk at end. I don’t add anything sweet. Prefer non sweet breakfast

Tesco oats (£1 a kg), 2.5 mins, stir, another 2 mins. Done

sight-pin

Veteran
+1 for nuked. 1/2 cup of Scottish porridge oats, to one cup and a third of milk nuked for 2 mins, stir and nuke for a further 1 min 10 seconds (900 watt)
Add honey or for change a dash of cinnamon.

Jimidh

Veteran
I might be Scottish but Porridge gives me the boak xx(

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It's what the microwave was invented for.
3.5 tablespoons of oats
Just the right amount of milk
1 minute
Stir
1 minute
Mix in a bit of cold milk.
Eat straight away
Cycle to work.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In non-stick 14 cm saucepan. 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup Lidl value oats, 1 cup water. Bring to boil stirring constantly, continue stirring on medium heat until well thickened, then turn down heat to just above minimum, leave for 6 minutes. Remove from heat, leave 7 minutes. Turn out into bowl with browned base upmost and serve with 2-3 tablespoons low fat greek yoghurt - Lidl preferred.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've no idea how much porridge or how much milk. I just bob some oats in and then add a load of milk. Sometimes it comes out a bit "clarty" which I don't like, so I add some cold milk to thin it down a bit

Microwave-tastic.....2 mints full power, stir, 1 min full power. Done. Add some honey and some dried fruit and that's that

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In non-stick 14 cm saucepan. 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup Lidl value oats, 1 cup water. Bring to boil stirring constantly, continue stirring on medium heat until well thickened, then turn down heat to just above minimum, leave for 6 minutes. Remove from heat, leave 7 minutes. Turn out into bowl with browned base upmost and serve with 2-3 tablespoons low fat greek yoghurt - Lidl preferred.

That had better be god cos it sounds like a right performance

bruce1530

Guru
One cup of oats, 2 semi-skimmed milk (or milk+water). Big container to prevent it erupting in the microwave. Micro for 4 mins, stirring after 2. Leave for a bit before eating.
And don’t forget to add the salt. No sugar or jam or honey or other such softy southern nonsense...

Top Bottom