Porridge - fuel for rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
And what would be “ just the right amount of milk “

It varies most days.

vickster

Legendary Member
One cup of oats, 2 semi-skimmed milk (or milk+water). Big container to prevent it erupting in the microwave. Micro for 4 mins, stirring after 2. Leave for a bit before eating.
And don’t forget to add the salt. No sugar or jam or honey or other such softy southern nonsense...
Without the salt

robjh

Legendary Member
Different types of oats will give a different texture. Much of the cheaper 'porridge oats' stuff is more like oatmeal, with no recognisable flakes, and produces a smoothish uniform paste that cooks in no time (and can also set to a thick stodge quickly too).

For a different beast, choose jumbo oats and simmer them in milk in a pan on a low heat (I don't do microwaves), with a bit of salt. After 10 minutes you will get a lovely silky porridge with a slight chunkiness to it, and simmered for longer it gets even better. Top up with a little more milk if it starts sticking.
My all-time favourite in this line includes pearl barley in with the oats, but you need more like 20 minutes to get these soft enough. I did them for an hour the other morning and the result was sublime. A touch of cream stirred in at serving time is the ultimate luxury.

Reactions: mjr

flatflr

Guru
Half cup Scottish Porridge oats, half cup water, half cup semi skimmed milk in a nuke proof container left over night.

Nuke for 1 min 40 secs, sprinkle cinnamon, done...

NickNick

I like my porridge oats raw, fill bowl full of oats, couple of table spoons of brown sugar, then cover in cold full fat milk. Quicker than porridge, less washing up & tastier imo. Its my favourite pre ride food.

e2a: much nicer with the nice jumbo Scottish oats, rather than the more powdery smaller oats.

GM

Legendary Member
This is the one I like, 2 heaped scoops in a bowl, enough skimmed milk to cover it, 3 mins in the micro, a little sprinkle of Canderel and enjoy!

81CgJgfLY6L._SL1500_.jpg

The benefit of microwaving is there is no pan to wash however over nuking causes a porridge eruption. If not dealt with immediately congealed porridge has to be peeled off the inside of the microwave.

Top Bottom