Porridge - fuel for rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickNick

Microwaving porridge is all kinds of wrong.

Heavy pan, chuck in a cup of oats, 2 cups of water or milk, bring to bubbling, remove heat and stir until thickened.

Takes about 5 minutes.

Microwaving porridge is almost as bad as making it with water!

Katherine

Guru
So many different methods and personal preferences!

Looking like everyone agrees with the twice the volume of liquid to oats.

I prefer to cook mine on a low heat in a non stick pan because it is easier to stir and wash up.
I like the everyday quality of own brand oats for the texture, but also, I like to make it the way my dad always used to make it for me, which is with water but with a bit of milk in the bowl.( Demerara sugar for the crunch!)

I guess this doesn't count as proper porridge, but I really like Mr Aldi's golden syrup flavoured porridge in sachets. One sachet to 180ml of milk and nuke it for 2 minutes or so. Lovely!

Incidentally, Aldi also sells instant porridge in plastic cups for about 45 pence each, I think. Just add boiling water and stir, then it's ready. We tried some in the campervan earlier this year. They were perfectly acceptable. Not quite as nice as the sachet ones, but would be good for minimum facility camping....

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Try groats. Much healthier than oats with bran etc still on. Take longer to prep but very nutritious and give great slow energy return. Soak overnight and cook slow next morning. Should be ready after a shower, shave, s**t etc. Maybe take dog for a walk and work on another chapter of your novella. Check all your pencils are properly sharpened, clean out the terrapin and they'll be ready to serve. Add linseed, sunflower seed and almond milk and you will live to be one hundred.

We've still got most of a twenty kilo bag in the pantry, if you want a sample sending....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
40g of Scott's porage oats, 300ml of semi-skimmed milk. Microwave on high for three and a half minutes. Always cook it in a large plastic bowl if you don't want it to explode all over the inside of the microwave. Eat it from the same bowl and save washing up. It'll be quite sweet enough without adding all manner of ponciness to it.

Lonestar

Veteran
Thanks for reminding me.Wasn't sure what to take into work this morning as I'm doing quite an active diagram at the start so don't have much time for breakfast.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its simple.

I dont have a microwave and so I use a pan.

Half a mug of oats in a pan. Cover them so they an inch under water. medium heat and keep stirring until it bubbles and then cook for 5 minutes more. I add thin apple slices to mine at the start. This will make 2 bowls. Before you reheat for the 2nd bowl, add a bit more water as the oats will keep soaking up the liquid while to are eating the first bowl.

If it s too stodgy. Add more liquid.

I have found it makes no difference if you use milk or water. Other than, water is cheaper.

Everyone seems to be making very small quantities, is nobody using a porridge drawer nowadays?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/scotlandhistoric-discovery-the-porridge-drawer
The 21st century method is peeling it off the microwave. :smile:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Its simple.

I dont have a microwave and so I use a pan.

Half a mug of oats in a pan. Cover them so they an inch under water. medium heat and keep stirring until it bubbles and then cook for 5 minutes more. I add thin apple slices to mine at the start. This will make 2 bowls. Before you reheat for the 2nd bowl, add a bit more water as the oats will keep soaking up the liquid while to are eating the first bowl.

If it s too stodgy. Add more liquid.

I have found it makes no difference if you use milk or water. Other than, water is cheaper.

Proper porridge is made with water, not milk (and a little salt). After transferring it to the bowl, carefully pour milk around the edges and if the porridge is of the correct consistency it will float on the milk and you can spin it around. If it isn't, you've got soup.

Have a cup of milk handy while you eat, as more will be required to maintain the flotation.

Oh, and I can't believe we've had 40+ posts on how to cook porridge without any mention of a spirtle. :smile:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
One bowl of porridge kept me going for 3 hours on Sunday, 45 miles and 2000 feet of hills. I was amazed.

RECIPE: More milk than porridge, a low heat for 10 mins = bliss

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Proper porridge is made with water, not milk (and a little salt). After transferring it to the bowl, carefully pour milk around the edges and if the porridge is of the correct consistency it will float on the milk and you can spin it around. If it isn't, you've got soup.

Have a cup of milk handy while you eat, as more will be required to maintain the flotation.

Oh, and I can't believe we've had 40+ posts on how to cook porridge without any mention of a spirtle. :smile:

"Proper porridge". Who decides what is proper porridge?

My oats dont come with a picture of that girls blouse in a skirt on the front. So those North of the border have no say. If I cannot lay bricks with my porridge I dont like it. I hate it when I have sloppy porridge running around my porridge draw.^_^

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In non-stick 14 cm saucepan. 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup Lidl value oats, 1 cup water. Bring to boil stirring constantly, continue stirring on medium heat until well thickened, then turn down heat to just above minimum, leave for 6 minutes. Remove from heat, leave 7 minutes. Turn out into bowl with browned base upmost and serve with 2-3 tablespoons low fat greek yoghurt - Lidl preferred.
- and here's the result, waitng for yoghurt - more a porridge pancake - or 'improper' porridge maybe?

IMG_20171204_085746_resized_20171204_085841548.jpg

rrarider

Veteran
There's no need to have it hot - Ray Booty didn't bother during his record breaking ride.

From the following obituary:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/sep/17/ray-booty

Ray Booty was the Bradley Wiggins of the 1950s, a pre-eminent British time-trial cyclist, famous above all for becoming the first rider to complete a 100-mile event in under four hours: the equivalent, it has often been said, of Roger Bannister's four-minute mile. Unlike today's generation of celebrated British cyclists, however, Booty, who has died at the age of 79, retained his amateur status, spending his working life as an electronics engineer and using the daily ride to and from work as part of his training regime.

He made a distinctive figure in the saddle of the fixed-wheel Raleigh Record Ace which he used for both competition and commuting. "The Boot" was a powerful man, standing 6ft 3in, weighing 14st, and wearing a pair of thick-rimmed spectacles on and off the bike.

His great 100-mile ride came in the Bath Road Classic on a hot August bank holiday Monday in 1956. Using an 84-inch gear, and with cold porridge in his drinks bottle, he finished a circuit taking in Pangbourne, Shillingford and Abingdon in 3hr 58min 28sec, more than 11 minutes ahead of the second-placed finisher, Stan Brittain, and the rest of a formidable field.

Top Bottom