Porridge - fuel for rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oats + Water + Gentle Heat + A Little of Something Sweet = Yum.

Milk is unnecessary. We've been conditioned to eat all cereals with it, for no good reason, other than the fact it keeps farmers, the dairies, and supermarkets in business. Water is sufficient, you just have to get used to the slightly different taste. It's not unpleasant, just different.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's wrong with having a little milk? I might have osteopenia/osteoporosis so as a source of calcium, its is beneficial for me. I'd prefer to get calcium through diet rather than as a supplement which would mean yet another tablet to swallow

Sweet porridge as above...yuck

mangid

Guru
Microwave here, 2 recipes

40g Quinoa, 120ml milk, 1:10 high power (1Kw), 8 minutes low (150)
then add 40g Jumbo oats 160ml milk, 1:20 high power, 2:30 low
Teaspoon of honey

Or:

60g jumbo oats, 260ml milk, 1:30 high power, 2:30 low, teaspoon of honey

Timings perfected to avoid porridge explosions

What's wrong with having a little milk? I might have osteopenia/osteoporosis so as a source of calcium, its is beneficial for me. I'd prefer to get calcium through diet rather than as a supplement which would mean yet another tablet to swallow

Sweet porridge as above...yuck
@vickster there are cheaper, healthier alternative sources of calcium than milk, which means you still get it from your diet. There's absolutely no need for supplements. If your diet is acidic, you'll need more calcium. The solution is to reduce your meat & diary intake, and it drastically lowers your calcium requirements, therefore getting sufficient amounts of calcium from your dark green vegetables is absolutely possible.

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/calcium/

Disclaimer, this site is pro plant based diet, but it doesn't make the science any less valid.

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster there are cheaper, healthier alternative sources of calcium than milk. No need for supplements. If your diet is acidic, you'll need more. The solution is to reduce your meat & diary intake, and it drastically lowers your calcium requirements.

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/calcium/

Disclaimer, this site is pro plant based diet, but it doesn't make the science any less valid.
Milk is hardly expensive.
Are you a rheumatologist?

vickster

Legendary Member
I never said it was expensive.

Are Rheumatologists experts in nutrition? In my dealings with them, they fall short of the mark.
You said there are cheaper alternatives, e.g.?

They are experts in rheumatological/skeletal disease, including osteoporosis

Anyhow, off topic...back to porridge

@vickster, read the link, all info provided.

EDIT: The problem with experts in one field, is they often fall foul of inexpertise in other fields. You would think doctors would take nutrition seriously, as most ill-health is a result of poor dietary choices, but they are failed in their training because our society and the profession doesn't take healthy diets seriously, thus most advice about diet from doctors should be taken with copious pinches of salt. That's not to say all Rheumatologists aren't competent in advising on nutrition, but anyone who blindly insists milk is good for osteoporosis is ignorant of the latest research.

Anyway, as you say, back on topic.

I like mine with chopped bananas!

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
"Proper porridge". Who decides what is proper porridge?

My oats dont come with a picture of that girls blouse in a skirt on the front. So those North of the border have no say. If I cannot lay bricks with my porridge I dont like it. I hate it when I have sloppy porridge running around my porridge draw.^_^

I'll have you know that I'm officially a professional porridge-taster !

Well OK, I was paid a tenner once by the local food research company for sampling various combinations of porridge and golden syrup (they don't tell you in advance what you're going to be tasting in any given session).

I ran out of space in the comments section of the scorecard. :smile:

mgs315

I guess I’m cheap and simple with mine then, Lidl own brand in a plastic bowl on tared scales to 50g, top up with water to weigh 300g, microwave 2 mins and then bung in a small handful of blueberries and walnuts. Sometimes a half tsp of brown sugar before microwaving if I’m in a sugary mood or I’m out of blueberries.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Pinhead oatmeal is the only proper type to use for porridge. About 50 gm or so then add a mug of water and a touch of salt. Microwave for 3 mins, stir then another 3 minutes. Leave for about 10 mins or so to cool and eat with milk. You can also boil up in a pan but this takes longer and needs a bit more attention. None of this sugar nonsense which spoils it completely and as for making it with milk — yuck.

No one elses like bircher müesli? I just mix oatmeal with yoghurt and some fruit and leave it for at least 10 minutes (or overnight) and eat it cold. It also packs nicely into a jar if you want to take it with you.

Personally I find the claggy texture of cooked oatmeal repellent, but love this.

Top Bottom