Porridge - fuel for rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@vickster, I can spend all day linking to studies which would back up my point, but I won't because people like @jefmcg will continue to waste all our time by linking totally irrelevant publications whilst attempting to maintain an air of authority on a topic that they haven't the faintest clue.

@vickster, You can dispute my points all you want, but to be in search of definitive answers in a world infinitely complex, sadly there are too many variables to consider to answer one vague and extremely poorly defined question. Therefore sometimes all that is required is the capacity to read between the lines. @User3094 clearly lacks this ability. In case you missed it, you have to take two steps forward to cancel the one you take back when consuming milk. In the meantime, trolls will be still be erecting their straw men simply to tear them back down and I shan't be tempted to participate further.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll continue to have around 100ml of skimmed milk in my breakfast porridge :okay: especially as there's also calcium in hard tap water
Do you have organic or high pus milk in your breakfast? xx(

:popcorn:

I started out with those sachets of flavoured instant porridge but now nuke my own. In my tests, the best tasting oats are Mornflake Superfast, much better than any supermarket own brand I have tried.
I usually use 2 spoons of oats to a dollop of milk, add some crushed nuts and finely chopped dates, cover with a plate and microwave for 1 min 49 sec, but you neec to keep an eye on it to prevent eruptions.
I sometimes add a bit of cold milk or yogourt and fresh raspberries in summer.
Chef porridge is made with a blend of different grinds and cooked long and slow.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Twice the amount of semi skimmed milk to oats in a saucepan, bring to the boil, simmer for a couple of minutes whilst stirring. A little bit of honey and job done.
I’m another who hates microwaves.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Microwaving porridge is all kinds of wrong.

Heavy pan, chuck in a cup of oats, 2 cups of water or milk, bring to bubbling, remove heat and stir until thickened.

Takes about 5 minutes.
Just quoting you as a point rather than an argument.
Go with what works for your time, taste and body likes , we are all different as long as your getting what your body likes i think how its done is down to preference.
I must admit to liking high fruit meusli lately to porridge.

NickNick

The ultimate hot porridge has a giant dollop of clotted cream stirred into it when its finished cooking :nom:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Oh, and I can't believe we've had 40+ posts on how to cook porridge without any mention of a spirtle
I'll be turning a few ash spurtles over the coming months: they're quite hard to made with the little thistle on top, but the ONLY thing to use for stirring ones groats.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'll be turning a few ash spurtles over the coming months: they're quite hard to made with the little thistle on top, but the ONLY thing to use for stirring ones groats.

Though the way this thread is going, I'm expecting a post any time now with a specious argument that a wooden spoon is just as good. :smile:

Buy a box of Scott's porage oats.
Put 50 grammes of oats into a bowl (electronic scales help here).
Pour 300 ml cold milk (weighs 300 gms, conveniently) into bowl.
Place bowl in microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes.
Go and shower or whatever else you do at that time of the morning.
Return after 10/15 minutes and eat the resultant porage. If away longer, reheat as necessary.

This, although I like mine very hot.

Edit: I like honey, and if we have them in the fridge, finely chopped strawberries and some blueberries

Good cycling food

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
1/2 mug of oats, full mug of water and a splash of milk, in the tv that only shows cookery shows for 3 minutes, finish off post you were writing on here then back in for another minute. Finished.

Take cold porridge for lunch 2 days a week.

Top Bottom