Possibly a stupid question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am always reading about chain checkers, constantly adjusting or replacing things, tyres expiring, stockpiles of spares for the end of the world, servicing and cleaning after every trip outside. How does this equipment wear out so fast? I am always on my bike as it is daily transport but don't seem to have these dilemmas. I do my own servicing and change when things are knackered but it's not often. I do carry a spare tube and tools at all times but can't remember when I and needed either. @HobbesOnTour @Retyred.life how do you manage being on the road so much of the time? When touring I will take an extra cable perhaps and brake pads but no more.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm with you. Can't remember the last time i put a new chain on or replaced a cable or even had to mend a puncture... but i always carry tools and patches just in case. I do have a chain checker but haven't really used it since buying it. IMO, the chain needs replacing when it snaps or keeps slipping and not before. I keep a stock of cables, brake pads, a new chain, cassette so when i do need them, they're in the cupboard rather than having to go and buy them.

I suppose for some, regular maintenance is part of the hobby. Or if they're competing, a well maintained bike may make the difference of that all important fraction of a second. But for a utility cyclist, just keeping it in working order is good enough.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I commute daily with the Tern Folder and whilst it is a simple ,single speed bike with a coaster brake I can't afford to have it off the road with mechanical maladies. So whilst it doesn't live a pampered life, it does get regularly checked over and every year I strip, clean and re-pack the rear coaster hub with grease.

With the Gravel bike and the mountain bike it's a little different. These are bikes that are a complete indulgence for me and have cost me a lot of money to buy. I get a huge amount of pleasure from riding them and whilst they get ridden year round, off-road, they are regularly hosed down and kept in a very clean condition. Not only do I find this pleasurable, but it's also a matter of saving money, sadly components on modern bikes are extortionately priced, a rear cassette for example won't leave me with much change from €100. So regularly checking the chain means I can replace it at 75% and then I commonly get at least three chains before needing to replace the cassette, with chains much cheaper than cassettes this saves me a lot of money.

Other components like disc brake pads don't wear out any faster than rim brake shoes I find, it's just I live in an area with very gritty sandy soil, so brake pads have a hard life. Tire sealant is another one I'll check every few months, I just spent 5 minutes checking the level of the MTB tire sealant this weekend, really not a hard or particularly time consuming job, but it means I know I can rely on them to keep sealing if I do get a puncture.

I don't tend to spend a lot of time checking the bike, 10 minutes every so often, I'm also very aware of what I've done and when, so my bikes are mechanically in good shape at all times which makes them much more reliable and saves me money in the long run. It also means when I go off bikepacking in remote areas I can relax knowing there little likelihood of mechanical maladies cutting short my tour.

So it's not that modern components wear out fast, in fact I was amazed how long my 11 speed cassette lasted on the gravel bike, it's just by regularly checking things over and keeping it in good shape I can make everything so much more reliable and last longer.

davidphilips

Veteran
There is no stupid question unless it keeps getting repeated. Chain checker,would not be without one, know of many ways to check a chain for wear without one but they are so quick and easy to use.
When on form and cycling well i only get a few months out of a chain (less in winter) and check a chain every time before cleaning it,this has saved me a lot of cleaning plus changing a chain in time has made sure my cassettes and chain rings dont wear prematurely.

First things first. There's no such thing as a dumb question - only dumb answers. :becool:

but don't seem to have these dilemmas.

Of course you don't have these dilemmas - you're at home, or going home. One of the liberating things about a bike tour, especially a long one, is that we get to make a new home every day. The bike might be packed a little heavier on tour, the scenery might look different, the weather will hopefully be different, the language might be different, but the real, substantial difference is between our ears.
A strange sound coming from the drivetrain 5 miles from home isn't a huge cause for concern, that same sound in the Atacama desert might be!

how do you manage being on the road so much of the time?
To your main question.......
As with so many things ...... It depends.....

There are different kinds of touring.
There are tours in different places.
There are tours with a different focus - eg 400km in two days Vs 400km in 10.
There are different kinds of bikes & gear. Some are more tolerant of improvisation than others. (My bike will operate with a 7 or 8 speed cassette as an example).
There are different kinds of people. Some will become frustrated if they are not moving far or fast enough. Others haven't a clue about bike maintenance and will happily ride until their bike breaks.

For me, ironically, the bike is probably the least important thing on my mind most days. I do basic maintenance, mainly to do with keeping the chain clean and tyre pressures appropriate. Adjusting brakes or replacing blocks when necessary.
Bigger services occur when I have a chance or when the situation demands. Roccado is like an extension of me. I think I can generally feel when something isn't quite right.
My camping gear needs attention, as do my clothing, tech etc. And I need attention every now and then. It's not just the bike.

That's why I always encourage newbies to forget about getting a fancy bike until they're sure they know what kind of bike adventures they want to have and where and they start to see the big picture of how everything can link together.

I'm not sure where you are seeing the rapid wear of components but if it's online then you ned to remember that people have different levels of fussiness about these things, some like to be the "Internet Hardmen" who like to tell people why it's all gone wrong and why it'd never happen to them and places like this are for discussing. So things get discussed.
Remember, there are far more people out there riding bikes and having bike adventures than ever post online.

The big factors in what to cover are probably addressed by availability and comfort.
By availability I mean the availability of components where you plan to travel. Urgency may be a sub-factor here too. (I can buy pretty much anything on my phone but getting it to me might take a while). As perhaps is cost. Some countries can be ridiculously expensive for parts. If no components are available (or affordable) then you may need to bring some. Simples.

Then there's comfort. If not carrying three spare tubes will make you nervous and uncomfortable then there are two choices. Face down the source of the anxiety head on or pack the three damn tubes! ^_^
There's no point in being on tour and constantly anxious. At least in my world.

Weight is usually bandied about as the premier issue. As should be no surprise at this stage, I don't give a fig about weight. I want to know that I can deal with whatever I need to or choose to face. Being X km faster means little to me. Going X km further ditto. Being comfortable where I am and where I'm going is what is important - to me.

(I'm convinced that a big factor in weight being deemed so important is that it is measurable. And comparable. My rig is X kg (or God forbid, grams!!) lighter than yours is much easier to discuss than I enjoyed that place more than you. What is the unit of measurement of enjoyment anyways?
And a focus on destination. How long will it take, how hard will I have to work to get to X over how will I enjoy the journey? )

You may have noticed by now that I rarely use the word "Tour". I am bemused by the idea of a "Touring Bike". "Tour" means so much to so many people, yet has very different meanings to so many people that it's a bit of a useless word. In bike terms, a "Tour" may not too different to a series of your usual bike rides. Do to the bike what you usually do when you usually do it (but be aware that may be a little more difficult than at home).

Of far more importance to me than spare parts and toolkits are the tools to keep my head balanced and tuned up.

Sorry, that's all about as useful as the proverbial chocolate teapot and perhaps I've proved the "only dumb answers" thing ^_^

The most disastrous mechanical things to happen while adventuring on the bike away from home are:
A pringled front wheel and murdered dynohub in a drain (led to a life affirming encounter)
Losing three spokes in one day (that was a long walk!)
5 punctures in one very, very hot day. So hot the damn patches wouldn't hold. (Led to one of those moments that reminds me how lucky I am)
A cassette damaged by a stone - was able to limp on to the next town.
A broken saddle pin (lead to a wonderful Italian encounter)
A sheared off rear derailleur caused by my own dumbassness.
A broken rear rack dropout, welded by the local welder

But to put things in perspective, I set off on my first, solo, unsupported tour without a puncture repair kit - but two panniers half full of books!^_^There was no point in bringing such a kit because I didn't know how to use it! I can read, though^_^
Of course, Murphy's Law kicked in but so did my luck. A very pleasant German not only fixed my puncture, he patiently showed me how to do it (without once being unkind) and sold me a puncture repair kit.
If I had waited to go until I could fix a puncture, well, I might still be sitting in NL.

rualexander

Legendary Member
You may have noticed by now that I rarely use the word "Tour". I am bemused by the idea of a "Touring Bike". "Tour" means so much to so many people, yet has very different meanings to so many people that it's a bit of a useless word.

Yet you use the word Tour in your username?

CharleyFarley

I am always reading about chain checkers, constantly adjusting or replacing things, tyres expiring, stockpiles of spares for the end of the world, ...

I love chain checkers. In fact I have two. I clean and lube my chains every 100 miles. I was disgusted, recently, to find a Zonkie brand 122 link chain was soon worn out. The only 122 links chains I could find were Zonkie so I got another one, thinking the first one might be an aberration. (My LBS doesn't stock bulk chain.) When I tried to install it, I cut it to length and the end roller fell out. Oriental garbage! But I wouldn't have known the chain was worn out if I hadn't checked it with a chain checker. I now have two Sram chains joined with a connecting link, and plenty of spare chain to lengthen the next one. I won't wait until a chain goes bad on me, miles from home.

froze

Über Member
I have quite a few bikes, and over 40 plus years of riding I learned a lot, and I learned to save money because this hobby can be expensive. First off cables, like another poster, I also don't change my cables and chains every season, that is a huge waste of money. I have a bike I purchased in 2013 a Lynskey with Shimano cables, and a Shimano chain, the bike has about 8,000 miles on it and those items are the same and still good to roll for this season, and probably longer. I check my cables and chains with a chain checker twice a season, and I know when things start to look worn. This experience I have with the Lynskey is not a one-off experience, all my bikes are doing the same sort of thing, I've had cables last 25,000 miles and longer.

There were the 9000, and the 9100 Dura-Ace briftors that were chewing up cables like crazy, so those there isn't much you can do about it. There are YouTube videos on how to replace the cable, but there is no fix for preventing the chewing up of cables that I'm aware of, other than replacing the briftors with a newer version.

So how do chains and cables last so long for me, proper maintenance, that's all. Proper maintenance is discussed to nauseam on these cycling forums you can research the subject matter. With the cables watch this video, I've used this technique for 35 some-odd years, I use Tri-Flow, not sure if it really matters which lube quite frankly, but I happen to like Tri-Flow due to the Teflon they use in it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q1iecATY1o
Then I use the Tri-Flow on all the pivot points on the brakes, levers, derailleurs; keeping this stuff moving with minimal friction prevents faster wear on the cables. Chain care is simple as well, I use Dumonde Tech Lite chain lube (again not saying it's the best, but it works better than anything I've used before) and follow the directions, wipe the chain down after every ride; the Dumonde Tech lube does require a couple of successive applications, so the chain will make noise sooner after the first time you use it, so reapply, and it will make noise a little later, after about 4 or 5 times you won't have to reapply the lube for at least 500 miles.

When touring you will be on the road and could be days from a bike shop, and anything can happen, so you want to be prepared but you don't need to carry a bike store with you. I don't carry a spare chain, all I carry is a few spare links, and really all you need to do is remove a link or two and reattach the chain and you can still ride the bike, you just won't be able to use all your gears, but should be able to use most of them, but spare links don't weigh much so I carry 4 of them. I don't carry any spare cables; I've never broken a cable (or a chain) in 40 years of riding so I'm not concerned. Before I go on a tour I do make sure the chain and cables are new so I don't have to worry about something failing right away. I do carry a spare set of brake pads, several Fiber Fix spokes, a couple of spare tubes, 16 Rema tube patches, an extra glue tube, a couple of Park Tire boot patches, several reusable zip ties, 2 feet of duct tape, and a spare lightweight folding tire that will be good enough to get me to a bike shop to buy a more substantial tire. Tool-wise, I don't carry a chain checker, I carry a Park MTB 3 mini tool that has almost everything I would need to fix most things on my bike; a small cheap pair of folding pliers; a pair of Lezyne Power Lever XL tire irons, the toughest tire iron on the market; Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack because my Marathon Amotion tires are a huge pain to put on; and that's it. On the touring bike, I carry a Zefal HPx frame pump, I don't use a mini while touring due to larger volume tires requiring a lot of pumping with a mini, no thank you, but you may not mind using a mini on a tour, the frame pump is almost as efficient as a floor pump! I also carry a Presta to Schrader converter just in the unlikely case I tear up the pump's rubber grommet where the presta valve goes into, I can flip that grommet around and use the converter and pump air. I might have forgotten something but right now I can't recall anything else tool-wise or parts-wise related to the bike itself.

Top Bottom