possibly not the best cycle lane ever installed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Who ever the planning officers are need a bit of a talking to.
It would seem that they had to spend the money somehow or lose it, so they came up with this travesty.

Dozen like it in Cambridge except its flatter and the mindset of drivers are different. Contraflows on an existing narrow lane that's been there for years and can't be changed/ widened can be useful to cyclists. Its just the Wail refusing to promote a change of mindset and instead choosing to promote further division.

Reactions: mjr

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I don't usually read Daily Mail links, but, I made an exception for this one.

It did not disappoint, from the article "Delivery vans take up almost the entire width of the road and any oncoming cyclist would have to take evasive action and ride up on the narrow pavement to avoid being hit."

Erm... don't the cars and delivery vans have brakes then? Couldn't THEY take evasive action?

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Best not to read too much into any possible hidden agenda by the Daily Wail .I think they are in this case highlighting a ridiculuous bit of white paint lane that inevitably will lead to road rage incidents and quite possibly serious accidents.

"Bridget Wayman, Wiltshire Council Cabinet Member for Highways, said: 'Both cycle lanes were checked by a road safety auditor prior to installation and again once it was fully implemented and meet the Government criteria for the creation of this type of facility.’ " There you go then ,it must be safe !

Last edited:

Cerdic

I don't usually read Daily Mail links, but, I made an exception for this one.

It did not disappoint, from the article "Delivery vans take up almost the entire width of the road and any oncoming cyclist would have to take evasive action and ride up on the narrow pavement to avoid being hit."

Erm... don't the cars and delivery vans have brakes then? Couldn't THEY take evasive action?

Evasive action might be a bit difficult with that massive wall at the edge of the road! True, vehicles could stop, but they will still be physically occupying the space and a cyclist will still have to get round them...

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Evasive action might be a bit difficult with that massive wall at the edge of the road! True, vehicles could stop, but they will still be physically occupying the space and a cyclist will still have to get round them...

From the photographs, this is true, if the vehicle is at the entrance to the road, but, once in the road, even a stopped delivery van would allow a cyclist enough room to pass, a car would allow even more room.

But... my point was not about the "common sense" of the design, but, rather the assumption that the cyclist must be the one to defer to the motor vehicle.

Cerdic

But... my point was not about the "common sense" of the design, but, rather the assumption that the cyclist must be the one to defer to the motor vehicle.

Fair enough! I had visions of van drivers taking 'evasive action' and planting a load of Amazon parcels in a stone wall!^_^

Rule 155 of the Highway Code: Give way to road users coming uphill whenever you can.

Just checked my memory wasn't playing tricks on me (I remember learning this back in 1984 as 'vehicles coming uphill') and was pleased to discover that (a) I'm not going mad, it did used to say 'vehicles' and (b) that it now says 'road users', so includes cyclists

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A very simple solution that keeps the road available for cyclists comes to mind, should only take a couple of signs and a couple of bollards.

Top Bottom