Possibly the Best Bike Shop in the World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
Nah, the best bike shop are those ones with obscure bearings and that nut you can never source from any shops. It is stocked with stems, bars, wheels etc for a personal bike fit; none of this e-commerce from a store!

We are really lucky to still have an old fashioned shop with Drawers Full of bits, close by. Same owner for nearly 50 years

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
have rarely read so much marketing bollocks as in that piece

There's no need to be so negative about it, someone really put some effort into that. :laugh:

All that marketing shite is wasted on the likes of us. If you are sticking with steel frames, rim brakes, and stubbornly refusing to adopt 10/11 speed you are probably not their target customers anyway. :rolleyes:

DRM

Guru
There's no need to be so negative about it, someone really put some effort into that. :laugh:

All that marketing shite is wasted on the likes of us. If you are sticking with steel frames, rim brakes, and stubbornly refusing to adopt 10/11 speed you are probably not their target customers anyway. :rolleyes:
It's really is a load of corporate cobblers they've written, it doesn't matter if I'm spending £350 on my first bike, or £9000 on my dream bike, all it needs to be is clean, welcoming and staffed by sales people who don't ignore/talk down to/sell any old crap they're targeted to get rid of, and mechanics who will make slight alterations to make that purchase perfect, like a different length stem for example, they've targeted that place at top end of the market, whilst I fear alienating their actual customer base, by trying to push their brand more up market.

mechanics who will make slight alterations to make that purchase perfect, like a different length stem for example,
But I don't think Ribble are after that type of customer. They want guys or gals who will just buy a completed bike. I haven't seen any mention of bike fits so presumably you know your size and you make the choice of fittings. If you get it wrong then you can always try something different - we stock full range, sir.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The irony is that most Ribbles I see are blue (always blue) winter trainers/audax bikes, which are the Ford Focus of road cycling. They don't need a fancy showroom to shift those!

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But I don't think Ribble are after that type of customer. They want guys or gals who will just buy a completed bike. I haven't seen any mention of bike fits so presumably you know your size and you make the choice of fittings. If you get it wrong then you can always try something different - we stock full range, sir.
Yes, I think you're correct with this. I know several people who ride Ribble bikes and all are very happy with them. I can't see any reason to be critical of what Ribble do.

One thing which attracts friends I ride with is the option to customise their purchase. I see the benefit and attraction provided one knows exactly what one needs and has the ability to spec the bike. I don't.

My most recent hunt for a new winter bike came to fruition in mid December. After listening to my wish list my LBS of 20 years suggested an aluminum framed Kinesis. This was in May. In the seven months which followed we went through Kinesis, Lapierre, Genesis, Dolan, Tiffosi and decided on........a Kinesis but a very different one to the original spec. I eventually bought a gravel/winter titanium framed machine which will also tour very well. A far cry from the original "I need a new winter bike, preferably carbon, at around £1500."

For me bike buying is an evolutionary process, a very enjoyable journey while I work out what I really need. For this I need an LBS with the patience of a saint.

I started the thread because the idea amused me. I'd mentioned to a friend I thought the "signature scent" accounted for the disappearance of Monday's post ride kit! 😃

It's got a bit serious in places......

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The irony is that most Ribbles I see are blue (always blue) winter trainers/audax bikes, which are the Ford Focus of road cycling. They don't need a fancy showroom to shift those!
Not the case round here. There are some very fancy Ribbles kicking about. We are only 5-6 miles away.

Drago

Legendary Member
They may have fancy trim or equipment, but they're not fancy bikes.

They're cycling pick and mix, and the sweeties come from Woollies and not Fortnums.

Clitheroe also has possibly the best sausage shop in the world, but the difference between it and this Ribble shop is that someone other than the shop owner claims that the sausage shop is better than its' peers.
my grandad went for a job there once during the depression - he didn't have many kind words to say about it - long memories round there.

Of course .........it's Lancashire. 😉 God bless her and all who sail in her.
But it's not far from the still disputed border country where the damned White Rose menaces think they own our land.

There's only one good thing to come out of Yorkshire - the M62😁

Of course .........it's Lancashire. 😉 God bless her and all who sail in her.
:smile:
It's maybe because of his tale (pretty venomous as I recall) that I have never ever stepped inside it.
By the by, on the new shop, I had at first assumed that it was in the old Fell place on the Clitheroe trading estate at Salthill, but it is of course nestled between Screwfix, a Kentucky Fried takeaway, Ribble Valley Animal Feeds and a Macdonalds Takeway - so that's the signature fragrance they are doubtless referring to.
I will I think pay a visit but like the Fell place will be just doing so to window shop, treat it as a gallery. Will decide later whether to go on the nice Hewitt or my self-built 90s Ridgeback hybrid/tourer which is its functional twin, even down to the drivetrain. Suppose it may be interesting to go twice, once with each - see if I am treated any differently/which gives me the more peace to browse. Not really getting at them I stress - the overheads must be pretty high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Your thinking Paul?

Hewitt - £1,500 plus.

View attachment 583884

Ridgeback
£21 (admittedly with stuff then added)

View attachment 583885

The Ridgeback has (to my mind) better brakes, better shifters, better bottom bracket system.
Both look very nice. I was thinking of the name and location! Just a bit cheeky.

Is the Hewitt photo taken in Lancashire? Reminds me of a strange shaped almost triangular crossroads where one road leads off to Inglewhite? I can't remember where the others go or where the crossroads actually are!!

Top Bottom