Possibly the Best Bike Shop in the World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cripes - Clitheroe - who'd have thought it.
Though it looks as if it's actually Barrow.
If that way I could pop in the close-by Screwfix - probably more use to me - Ribble used to do some quite handy stuff for me but not for a long time.
Have rarely read so much marketing bollocks as in that piece , on any product area, but guess that's the new golf/cycling.
One thing that's indisputable in that piece - it is a great area for cycling.

Drago

Legendary Member
In the same feature I see Lance Armstrong’s Motorola team bike is to go on sale in the U.K. for £5000, any takers :whistle: ?
Planet X famously splashed out big moolah on a couple of Savile's old bikes so they'd wet themslves over this, particularly since they missed out on Jeffrey Dahmer's old Grifter.

Interested why they got out of bricks and mortar but have now gone back in again in a big way.
People do like to see what they are buying. And they do like to ask for advice when spending what yo some are large amounts of money. You just can't get that on the internet; although if you can get it from a 23 year old wannabe 1st cat is a different story.

dodgy

People do like to see what they are buying. And they do like to ask for advice when spending what yo some are large amounts of money. You just can't get that on the internet; although if you can get it from a 23 year old wannabe 1st cat is a different story.
Yeah, totally understand that. But my point is that they certainly know this also, but they got out of bricks and mortar a while back. Maybe they learned their lesson. FWIW I think the Ribble bikes now look amazing.

Justified_Sinner

I bought my CGR-AL from the Ribble shop in Birmingham and the staff were fantastic - this seems disappointingly gimmicky: "a signature scent?". They can do what they like to the environment but if the staff are surly or pretentious, it will fail.
It is still better than the bike shop I visited in San Francisco a few years back where it was like visiting the most expensive jeweller on Bond Street, with single chain wheels in locked cabinets with spotlights and no prices...

(I was taken there as I am both jeweller and cyclist and the people I was with thought I would find it amusing. I did.)

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yeah, totally understand that. But my point is that they certainly know this also, but they got out of bricks and mortar a while back. Maybe they learned their lesson. FWIW I think the Ribble bikes now look amazing.
Yes but compare the old bricks and mortar with this. My experience of the old shop was service was zero and the staff spent their time talking to friends/people they knew rather than serving.

There was a great clothing department. I was so irritated by the service I would go in, try everything for size, leave and buy elsewhere. Very out of character for me.

Equally I would never buy a bike from Ribble. I want to see, touch, discuss so a quality shop with interested staff might grab my custom. With online only Ribble have no chance to sell me anything.

Yes but compare the old bricks and mortar with this. My experience of the old shop was service was zero and the staff spent their time talking to friends/people they knew rather than serving.
Yes. It was like that. All the time. It was difficult to get advice. But to get realistic advice you need staff with experience. Unfortunately bike shops don't tend to have experienced sales staff. They have keen bike riders. Not the same thing at all.
My LBS some 3 miles away has staff more interested in selling ready built stock bikes. I go to LBS 12 miles away where the guy will tell you what works or doesn't, and makes you a coffee whilst you are talking.

Plus the old Ribble shop was in a real PIA location. No parking anywhere near and rates/rent must have been sky high. There will be all sorts of inducements to go to what is effectively an industrial unit.

I wonder if the present Walton Summit operation will be moving over there?

Top Bottom