Post a picture of your pet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Reynard, thanks for the clarification on the whiskahs . If I was a cat, and not already married, I'd ask Lexi to marry me! 💜 Gorgeous kitty (and vibrissae.) I never heard of a “blue tabby” here in the States, but I like the sound of it. 🐱

A blue tabby is the dilute of a standard black tabby like your other boy is.

It's the same gene that turns solid black to blue (like Lexi is), and solid chocolate to lilac. The difference between a tabby and a self is that the self has the tabby gene switched off.

Cat coat colour genes (except for white, which is a dominant and masking gene) are all recessive, so a cat needs two copies in order to display that particular trait.

The one exception to this is the gene for red, which is sex-linked. The y-chromosome is too small to carry the information, so the gene for red is only carried on the x-chromosome. It's why ginger males are so common compared to ginger females, as they only need one copy - either they are red (O) or non-red (o). A female cat needs two copies of (O) to be ginger. If she only has one, then she will be tortoiseshell.

HTH :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Benny is actually a blue tabby.

And the proper term for whiskers is vibrissae ;)

Madam Lexi is my blue bicolour. And I like to think she has a particularly fine set of vibrissae ^_^

View attachment 603617
Aye but does she get on the bike

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
A blue tabby is the dilute of a standard black tabby like your other boy is.

It's the same gene that turns solid black to blue (like Lexi is), and solid chocolate to lilac. The difference between a tabby and a self is that the self has the tabby gene switched off.

Cat coat colour genes (except for white, which is a dominant and masking gene) are all recessive, so a cat needs two copies in order to display that particular trait.

The one exception to this is the gene for red, which is sex-linked. The y-chromosome is too small to carry the information, so the gene for red is only carried on the x-chromosome. It's why ginger males are so common compared to ginger females, as they only need one copy - either they are red (O) or non-red (o). A female cat needs two copies of (O) to be ginger. If she only has one, then she will be tortoiseshell.

HTH :smile:
Wow, thanks, @Reynard, more than I ever knew! Me thinks Reynard knows a thing or two about the wonderful world of kits! 💜🐱💜

gbb

Legendary Member

Digby enjoying Skegvegas today.
14 weeks oldish, 16.5 kilos already, ran his heart out bless him, straight to the water, like a kid with a bag full of treats.
He looks for all the world like he is just soaking up the scenery, lovely day for all, he did so well in the crowds, so well behaved for a 14 week old

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Benny is actually a blue tabby.

And the proper term for whiskers is vibrissae ;)

Madam Lexi is my blue bicolour. And I like to think she has a particularly fine set of vibrissae ^_^

View attachment 603617
@Reynard, I keep popping back to this pic. I think Lexi has one of the prettiest 🐱 faces I have ever seen. I won’t complain if you post more.:wub:

@Reynard, I keep popping back to this pic. I think Lexi has one of the prettiest 🐱 faces I have ever seen. I won’t complain if you post more.:wub:

Thank you :blush: Be warned though, Madam... bites. :blush:

IMG_4881_small.jpg

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Thank you :blush: Be warned though, Madam... bites. :blush:

View attachment 603883
Wow, @Reynard, Lexi really DOES look like the ruler of the roost, with catitude! But there is just something about trying to connect with a beautiful kitty that is used to being the tough one around the house. Benny started out a monster, but after a year, patience, and many treats he is now my loving little buddy. (Okay, BIG buddy!) How old is Lexi now? And your gorgeous fluffy kitty? (Sorry, forgot her name) is just adorbs! :wub: Here's how Benny greeted me for quite a while… but now he has been with us for just over 2 1/2 years and we celebrated his 14th birthday with him last month, July 12th. Love both of those 2 last pics of your gals!

E5D87A40-22CF-4A48-AB99-D86FAE7F1FDC.jpeg

Wow, @Reynard, Lexi really DOES look like the ruler of the roost, with catitude! But there is just something about trying to connect with a beautiful kitty that is used to being the tough one around the house. Benny started out a monster, but after a year, patience, and many treats he is now my loving little buddy. (Okay, BIG buddy!) How old is Lexi now? And your gorgeous fluffy kitty? (Sorry, forgot her name) is just adorbs! :wub: Here's how Benny greeted me for quite a while… but now he has been with us for just over 2 1/2 years and we celebrated his 14th birthday with him last month, July 12th. Love both of those 2 last pics of your gals!

View attachment 604013

Oh, Benny! I can quite imagine the swear words that go along with that facial expression... :whistle:

Lexi is 9 - she's been here for seven and a half years. The rescue I volunteer for took 42 cats out of one house in town, and she was the first one to come out of there. She's actually a foster fail, as I took her in on short notice as we just didn't have enough cat pens, and she kind of stayed. She was the only neuter in that house, so she was at the bottom of the pecking order, but she was actually the mother of the entire males in the house, ergo a former kitten machine. She came here badly underweight, half bald, smelly, stained and needing a suitcase for her issues. Sharing is still a problem, and when she doesn't get her own way, she bites... Love her to bits, though. And she's a brilliant mouser.

Poppy is almost 12 - I've had her since she was three and a half months old. She's a typical opinionated tortie who can slap hard enough to make you see stars. It's amazing how much wallop a 5kg cat can pack... :laugh: Poppy came from the same rescue btw - she was an unwanted kitten... Oh, and she has the same language skills as Benny. Swears like a trooper, does Madam Poppy. :blush:

Both my girls have 'tude, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :blush: Oh, and it's Poppy who rules the roost. ^_^

P.S. Poppy is a shorthaired girl with a penchant for furry throws xxx

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Great pic, @keithmac, and 2 great looking woofs indeed! It also makes me think that in ways, woofs and meows might not be that different, I have clearly seen that look of desire and expectation in our kitties eyes as well. Especially when there is something tasty to sample. I suppose we humans do the same thing too. I have never been a woof's person, but I love watching the fun interactions between peeps & woofs.

My two furry friends. You can guess what they are looking forward to.

D19D12E4-ADBD-420D-9AB8-F1554203A725.jpeg

Top Bottom