Potential Brompton Newbie needs help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
IMG_20180909_110017.jpg
In 15 years of living in Denmark. I have seen one Brompton. I have read so much about them and have considered buying one for such a long time.

At the weekend I was in Cambridge, which appears to be the capital of Brompton bikes. I called into Rutland Cycling and had a look at their selection and the Red and Blue, 6 speed, 9 Street edition caught my eye.

The guys were helpful, but busy. I didnt want to take up too much of their time as I probably wont buy from them anyway.

My first question is easy. The bike comes with a luggage block but I would like to make my own luggage. Can you buy the plastic part of the bag which attaches to the block?

I would need to get up mountains on this bike and would like to make it as easy as possible. To that end I would order a 44T crankset. Looking at the order form when it comes to 6 speed it asks +8%, Standard or -12%. I do not know what this means, nor do I understand chain inches. Apologies for being thick. For practical purposes. Which of the above 3 choices should I pick?

Is there a guru of all things Brompton on a website somewhere, who could offer help?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Nice looking bike that! If you want to make your own luggage you can buy the support frame , which has the correct mounting to sit on the luggage block, as a seperate item

https://www.evanscycles.com/brompton-front-carrier-frame-alone-00100452

The two numbers refer to percentage difference from standard gearing. If you want lower for hills go with the -12%

I've always found Bromptons a bit overgeared, but not massively so. 12% is a decent lowering, according to a web search this gives lowest gear of 29.1 gear inches. As a comparison, my touring bike has a lowest gear of 22 gear inches, my Domane has a bottom gear of 28.63 so the Brompton would be comparable to a road bike with 700c wheels and 34 chainring 32 rear cassette largest cog.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've always found Bromptons a bit overgeared, but not massively so.

Same here, although some will disagree.

Even lower gearing can be achieved by fitting a non-Brompton smaller front ring.

I'm told there's a 34 tooth Stronglight ring sold by Spa in Harrogate which fits Bromptons.

alicat

Legendary Member
The bike comes with a luggage block

Last time I looked, the luggage block was an extra on the standard bike. It may be included on the special edition but it doesn't look like it from the picture.

Yes Luggage block is extra , cost about £15. Although I think 2 of mine had had them fitted by the shop prior to buying so you might find one similar. They are easy to fit yourself if not.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Yes, you can buy the frame separately depending on the type you want. Have a look at somewhere like Brilliant Bikes - they have a great range of Brompton accessories and they are very friendly on the 'phone and knowledgeable about Bromptons so they may well be able to answer your gearing questions. The luggage block is usually an extra part as well, it was around £15 when I bought mine.

Glad to hear you're not buying from Rutland Cycling too.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
IMG_20180909_110755.jpg
Yes Luggage block is extra , cost about £15. Although I think 2 of mine had had them fitted by the shop prior to buying so you might find one similar. They are easy to fit yourself if not.
The front carrier block is standard with this bike.

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
The -12% gearing equates to the 44 tooth chainring which I added post purchase but you can order this with the bike you will ensure it is colour matched. As stated above you can buy the frame from Evans there are also the frame part of the block available 3d printed off eBay or if you have a friend with a 3d printed I bet there are plans online to be had.

Nibor

Bewildered

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes, you can buy the frame separately depending on the type you want. Have a look at somewhere like Brilliant Bikes - they have a great range of Brompton accessories and they are very friendly on the 'phone and knowledgeable about Bromptons so they may well be able to answer your gearing questions. The luggage block is usually an extra part as well, it was around £15 when I bought mine.

Glad to hear you're not buying from Rutland Cycling too.
Can you add something to that. The only reason I will not buy from them is that I live in Denmark. They were very good when I spoke to them.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
The nine streets is definitely one of the best looking Bromptons they've ever made.

In fact, it's nicer than a lot of the custom bikes I've seen too.

As others have said, the frame for the luggage is available separately, so you can attach whatever you like to it.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Can you add something to that. The only reason I will not buy from them is that I live in Denmark. They were very good when I spoke to them.

Of course. Please be aware that this is my experience. Others may have a different view, but Rutland Cycling will never get my custom again.

I needed a new rear wheel built for my M3L (on the advice of Rutland when they fixed my broken rear hinge), so I asked them to order the rim and spokes, and let me know when the parts were in. I would drop the bike off in the morning, let them build a new wheel with the existing hub and pick the bike up in the evening to get the train home. Three weeks later and I've heard nothing, so I ring them up. Yes, they say, we've got the part, so I'm all booked in for the next week, a Wednesday I think it was.

The day comes around and I go to drop the bike off. Ah, says the chap on the desk. Actually, we haven't got the part after all. No apologies or even any feeling that they give a hoot. Also he has no idea how long it will take to get the correct part. So I go to work, get on the internet to Brilliant Bikes and order the parts myself. They arrive the next day and my LBS builds me a wheel at the weekend - and they don't even use the spokes as there was nothing wrong with the existing ones anyway.

So, although they are a Brompton dealer they apparently can't get a rear rim for a common model of Brompton within a sensible amount of time. I guess with that many students and tourists in town they don't have to worry about the customer service for normal commuters like me.

Kell

Veteran
In terms of actual gearing in use... I'm beginning to suspect that a reduced gearing chainring might work out for me.

6th tops out (for me as I don't like to really spin) at about 25mph. It's not very often that I get the chance to get on top of a gear like that - though I do use 6th from about 17mph and up (on the flat).

A reduced first gear would be more useful and I think having my two most used gears as 5th and 6th would better than 4th and 5th as they currently are.

So next time I replace my chainring, I might try the 44 tooth version.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you're going up mountains then yes, you want the -12% option. The standard chainset has 50 teeth, so the -12% has - you guessed it! - 44T.
A 29" bottom gear is low. Sufficiently so that if you need lower you'd be as quick walking.
It's roughly like having the pedals attached directly to a road bike wheel (which is where gear inches come from, harking back to penny-farthings).
An 88" gear is high enough. That's higher than the top gear on my touring bike, and I can spin that up to 30mph.
If you're aiming for 40+ mph on a Brompton, you may be worrying about other things than whether you've got another gear to play with.

Joe Brom

Regular
In terms of actual gearing in use... I'm beginning to suspect that a reduced gearing chainring might work out for me.

6th tops out (for me as I don't like to really spin) at about 25mph. It's not very often that I get the chance to get on top of a gear like that - though I do use 6th from about 17mph and up (on the flat).

A reduced first gear would be more useful and I think having my two most used gears as 5th and 6th would better than 4th and 5th as they currently are.

So next time I replace my chainring, I might try the 44 tooth version.
Agreed, the top gear on my S6L is ridiculous. If I'm riding a 16-inch-wheel bike fast enough to spin that out, I'm going down hill too fast and coasting!

Top Bottom