Powder coat or paint myself? Dawes Kingpin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brand X

I was pretty well set on getting the frame and forks powder-coated until I read a word of warning on a bike forum that while powder-coating is cheap, because a primer is not required when the paint gets chipped, there is no layer of protection to prevent rust from rapidly spreading beneath the surface. As a side-note there was also mention of the risk of "drying out" vintage aluminium frames which is something I had never considered - it doesn't affect the Kingpin because the Kingpin is steel-framed.

What do you think? I've got a good air-compressor and a cheap "touch-up" paint gun, but I've never done proper paint job before and I'm not sure I'm going to get a good finish with the cold and damp Wintery weather moving in; I can work under cover in the garage but I would need the door open for light and ventilation.

Also, I'm not sure how much the paint is going to cost. I can buy these 120ml paints for £11 a bottle:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1511...=1006516&device=c&campaignid=620794543&crdt=0

but then there's primer and lacquer which will bump the price up. I've got two bikes to do, so I could do them both in the same colours to save money but I don' want to waste time and effort and money and end up with embarrassing and disappointing results.

dim

look at having it enameled .... looks a lot better than powder coating, plus it's more durable

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I painted a bike which had too much surface rust to leave IMO. If I was doing it again, I'd wait for spring/summer (nights above 10 degrees) because it took flaming ages to cure in a heated shed. Even when I thought it was done after a couple of weeks, it was maybe another month before it was really hardened against heavy knocks!

screenman

Legendary Member
I painted a bike which had too much surface rust to leave IMO. If I was doing it again, I'd wait for spring/summer (nights above 10 degrees) because it took flaming ages to cure in a heated shed. Even when I thought it was done after a couple of weeks, it was maybe another month before it was really hardened against heavy knocks!

What did you paint it with? Most of my paints here I can set hard in 10 minutes witha hair dryer, even the twin pack.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Sorry, but I honestly can't see the point of you painting yourself :biggrin:

Reactions: mjr

Drago

Legendary Member
If powder coating is done properly it's harder to chip than paint. Sure, there's no primer, but in terms of corrosion protection there's consequently less need for it. Two of my bikes are powdered and not a single chip on either, one being quite heavily used off road.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've done three bikes in rustoleum. I brush painted rather than spray, and was very pleased with the finish, although it does take a bit of time. Here's how the first one I did came out: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1950s-raleigh-sports.201269/#post-4282286

@mjr is dead right though, it's best applied in the warm. As well as taking ages to set, in the cold it can bloom too.

A good dollop of heat from a hot air gun will get rid of bloom, even after the paint has dried, I use it most weeks on brand new cars.

Warning, hot but not too hot.

Top Bottom