Pre-ride snack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bits of cows.
If not vegetarian, one eats bits of animals all the time, rarely do I manage a whole cow

Waste not want not (although the French and Chinese are welcome to all offal)

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I commute daily and do 22-23 mile round trip. When I wake up, I have 2 shredded wheat with semi skimmed milk, a banana, about 500-600ml of high carb squash (cran & rasp ocean spray at the moment) with a dab of salt added. When I get to work, I have a chocolate milshake and 50g of dry roasted peanuts. For lunch, I have as high a protein sandwich as possible (morrisons do a good line of cheap veggie sandwiches), an apple, a banana, an orange and a packet of cheddars. about an hour before I ride home, I have another 500-600ml of high carb / salty squash and then another chocolate milkshake when I get in. For dinner, I usually go for a thin crust triple cheese pizza from tesco and add some vegetables on top. Very regimented, but I don't get hungry or tired if I stick to it ^_^

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Hi,

Just wondered what everyone on here favours as a carb-boosting snack before the ride home from work? I try to ride the 8-10 miles home pretty much at full pelt but am finding myself flagging on the last 2-3 miles through hunger.

You shouldn't need anything extra to ride that distance. Give us some more info: What speed is full pelt? What is your normal daily food intake?

iggibizzle

I did 80miles at a decent pace on a bowl of cereal, a Freddie, and 1 slice of flapjack, 2 cups of coffee, and about a litre of water not long back. could barely remember how to ride the bike at end. Stopped for 2 slices of toast and a cup of tea and within 5 mins it was as if I'd been reset. The remaining ten miles were as if it was the 1st ten of the day. Amazing how you can feel food fuelling you.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Agghhh jellybabies have cows in them. Thanks for ruining my childhood memories

Yep. So when you were biting it's head off you were effectively biting off a child's head and a cow's head at the same time. Halcyon days.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Amazing how you can feel food fuelling you.
I can totally empathise with this. I've always loved my food and really enjoy cooking but since starting cycling in the summer have a whole new appreciation of it as a pure fuel source - often it's like you can feel it starting to charge up bits of your body from the moment it starts to digest. And it seems my body now makes me crave things I need to power my muscles and brain, like I seem to fancy oily fish and milk all the time now whereas I consumed hardly any of either before; and i no longer seem to hanker after cheese on toast all the time!

vickster

Legendary Member
Have sardine on brown toast as your pre ride snack? You've not said what and when you are eating during the day. When I've commuted (about 13 miles, takes at least an hour), I've not really had anything before leaving. Maybe an apple

winjim

Smash the cistern
Things have just got worse. Is there a heifer in my haribos :eek:
Could be. Or it might be a piggy-wiggy, I'm not sure.

Incidentally, for those not averse to gelatine, and who like making a mess with the kids, home made marshmallows are great fun.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
@MickeyBlueEyes
@Crankarm
Thanks for your input.

To try to answer your questions: I'm 10stone wet through, a whisker over 5'8", 36yrs old. Shamefully my route is flat all the way, but in my defence because of the flatness it's very windy round these parts at this time of the year so I am almost always riding into a strong head-wind or at least stiff breeze. Also, for now I'm grinding along on a 10 year old Land Rover Mountain bike with 55mm tyres. It must weigh 16kg+ at least, and was only £200 when new and is now worth pence at best. It badly needs a new chain and new front derailleur.
I get up at 7am, do a 45min workout (press-ups/jack-knives, planks etc), usually have a bowl of muesli with semi-skimmed and fruit juice or 2 slices of marmite on toast and milk for brekkie, walk my daughter the half-mile or so to school then hop on for my 8.5 mile commute. When at work I spend roughly 2.5 days a week behind a desk all day, 1 day cycling short distances to do home visits and another day and a half doing heavy digging, barrowing and lifting all day. I usually eat leftover pasta or 2 sandwiches (4 slices of bread) plus fruit for lunch. I don't snack at all usually. I set off home at 6pm and seem to flag towards the end regardless of what I've spent my working day doing.
By flat out I mean going as fast as I possibly can (traffic lights and junctions not withstanding) all the way. Which on my crud bike into the wind is prob still only about 13mph average over 8.5 miles.
Hope his helps?! Cheers.

Top Bottom