Pre-ride snack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Just wondered what everyone on here favours as a carb-boosting snack before the ride home from work? I try to ride the 8-10 miles home pretty much at full pelt but am finding myself flagging on the last 2-3 miles through hunger. What works as a cheap, portable, healthy snack to have around 30mins to 1 hour before the return journey to offer that energy boost for the ride home in your experience?
Am guessing carb-based fodder is best (with high GI to get into blood stream quickly?) but don't know too much about nutrition and am getting a bit bored of bananas! All tips/faves welcomed. Thanks, Andy :-)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Forget everything and eat jellybabies :thumbsup:

On short runs I swear by a pint of milk. Cheap fluid with good carb protein ratio. Alternatively on long runs 2 bottles of HIgh 5 4-1 fructose drinks. It is really tops. No doubt some of the more venerable members on the forum will have other suggestions

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Alternatively on long runs 2 bottles of HIgh 5 4-1 fructose drinks
Planet X just gave me some of that for free so I'll look forward to giving it a whirl next time I go for an all day run.

On short runs I swear by a pint of milk. Cheap fluid with good carb protein ratio
Nice one, thanks for the suggestion. Though I won't be trying to grapple with the cow's udders myself on my way home as it looks like you maybe do from your avatar...?

Planet X just gave me some of that for free so I'll look forward to giving it a whirl next time I go for an all day run.

Nice one, thanks for the suggestion. Though I won't be trying to grapple with the cow's udders myself on my way home as it looks like you maybe do from your avatar...?
Lol. Cuchillo gave a good suggestion with the jellybpabies. I just find them hard to keep down

Lol. Cuchillo gave a good suggestion with the jellybpabies. I just find them hard to keep down
he's a vegetarian, and jelly babies have a fair amount of beef or pork in them. Yup, gelatine is made from boiled hooves and hide. Jelly beans, strangely, don't generally have gelatine, so that's why I suggested them.

Cake is always good, and just the thing to snack at your desk

BrynCP

Über Member
I don't commute, but often I get home then go out for a 20 miler. I have a glass of water and a digestive biscuit!

Probably depends on how active you at at work though I guess.

Crankarm

Guru
Riding 8-10 miles on a normal balanced diet should be fine. No extra nutrition should be needed. Maybe eat a banana if you must. What sort of weight/fitness are you and how long have you been riding, what sort of distances and how frequently?

Do you have an active job or do you sit behind a desk?

Is your route flat or hilly?

Top Bottom