Preferred footwear for non-roadies (Flat pedals)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hadn't worn those trainers in decades, possibly early 80's.
But i bought a pair a couple of years ago when i saw a cheap deal for them on HUKD's. I'd forgotten how comfortable and hardwearing they are. After 2 yrs wear of cycling & dog walking, they're still going strong.
They dont look as cool as Nike's, but i'm long past worrying about sheet like that. Also the last pair of Nike's i had, they made my feet sweat like a pig.

I ran many a mile in those trainers in the 1980`s and they were as comfortable as any other running shoe I wore after them. I think that they tended to be slightly wider which fitted my feet better. Perhaps I ought to try them again for the bike.

Smudge

Veteran
I ran many a mile in those trainers in the 1980`s and they were as comfortable as any other running shoe I wore after them. I think that they tended to be slightly wider which fitted my feet better. Perhaps I ought to try them again for the bike.

I take a wide fitting and they fit me fine. They're worth buying seeing as how cheap you can often get them for, think they were discounted to around £20 when i bought them.
Very breathable, they haven't become stinky like some trainers i've had in the past.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I'm sure I read on this very forum somebody recommending Crocs? Not had the courage to try them for myself yet.

I ride exclusively with flat pedals and have found any half decent walking shoe to give the best results so far.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
At the cheapest end of the market, these Decathlon shoes for a tenner aren't bad and stood up quite well for me, even if they are sold as 'walking shoes'
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-mens-walking-shoes-black-id_8354268.html
big_1211067.jpg

Having then used Scott FR10s for a while, I've now been using Five-Tens for a few months and probably will stick with them for some time as they're comfortable off the bike as well. The Five-Ten Spitfires in brown are currently £54 at CRC, but if you have a spare email address to sign up with them as a new customer you can get a tenner off.

Mrs M

Guru
C1EC16AE-7861-4292-A8C7-2C5A7C7014DE.png
I really like Salamon speedcross.
On my second pair, first pair lasted years :smile:
Bargains to be had!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I find normal trainers wear very quickly where they contact the the pedals.

Walking shoes fair a little better but still wear too quickly for my liking.

I've now moved an old pair of Shimano SPD shoes to flat pedal duties. I've reinstalled the cleat cover. They're stiff enough and the rubber sole is quite durable.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Removed skin, not sunburn. Just check out the 'pins' used on flats by many MTB'ers... frightening....
Here are mine. The excellent DMR Vaults.
I am not an MTB rider but ride a Cannondale hybrid.
Coupled with said Five Tens, you simply do not slip off.
bl_111716_a?w=638&h=638.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here are mine. The excellent DMR Vaults.
I am not an MTB rider but ride a Cannondale hybrid.
Coupled with said Five Tens, you simply do not slip off.
View attachment 481494

Lethal. Maybe not on a hybrid, but rocky terrain on a descent, or you come off your bike, I'd rather not have those pins chasing me. My colleague at work has given up flats due to too many sketchy moments - he's an enduro racer, he also sports some nice scars from pedal strikes.

Top Bottom