Preferred footwear for non-roadies (Flat pedals)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Lethal. Maybe not on a hybrid, but rocky terrain on a descent, or you come off your bike, I'd rather not have those pins chasing me. My colleague at work has given up flats due to too many sketchy moments - he's an enduro racer, he also sports some nice scars from pedal strikes.
As you say, no problem for 50 yr old me mooching along the seafront on a hybrid.
I think a lot of MTB riders swear by them though as (unlike clipless) allow for micro adjustments and coupled with the 'Stealth' sole on 5 10s work really well.
Also, you can at least 'attempt' an escape from the pedals if you know an off is happening, less so with clipless.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most MTB'ers swear by them, hence my first post about the Five Tens being the go-to choice. Life long clipless rider here !

At the cheapest end of the market, these Decathlon shoes for a tenner aren't bad and stood up quite well for me, even if they are sold as 'walking shoes'
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-mens-walking-shoes-black-id_8354268.html View attachment 481456
Having then used Scott FR10s for a while, I've now been using Five-Tens for a few months and probably will stick with them for some time as they're comfortable off the bike as well. The Five-Ten Spitfires in brown are currently £54 at CRC, but if you have a spare email address to sign up with them as a new customer you can get a tenner off.
oo - like the look of those - but how stiff is the sole?
Been caught out once or twice with flat pedal shoes that looked good for cycling then been forced to - oh the shame - use them for walking.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Honestly? Crocs for quite a lot of the time these days :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Innovate trail runners.

Cos that's what I hike in.

And I'm a shopaphobe generally.

They have pretty stiff soles, but are lightweight and breathable.
I wear dexshell wp socks if it's wet.

They've done me well so far, but after reading all this I may have to investigate some of these mythical five tens.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
oo - like the look of those - but how stiff is the sole?
Been caught out once or twice with flat pedal shoes that looked good for cycling then been forced to - oh the shame - use them for walking.
Decathlon or Five-Tens?

Decathlon's £10 jobs are quite flexible as they are sold as walking shoes, but are more of a robust trainer like construction (if you get what I mean)
The Five-Ten Spitfires are much more solid as they are designed for cycling, but flexible enough that you can walk normally in them.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I wear them for pretty much everything tbh - was on the SW Coast path last week in Crocs. Went out for meals in them too - footwear of the people indeed :smile:

Don't let onto the H&S lot but I've bin known to do farming in them too.

The Dutch did it for years in clogs..
I don't see much diffrence to crocs really.

They're a useful lightweight option for river crossings when Yr hiking too..

Top Bottom