Preferred footwear for non-roadies (Flat pedals)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'll have to read this thread through as I expect I'll learn something useful from it.
But @slowmotion is correct, I've abandoned cleats for long distance riding. For TCR I used some Innov-8 trail running shoes. They weren't perfect but I tried 7 or 8 different pairs of shoes and they were the best.
I won't go through them all but the things I look for are:
- wedge-type sole as I pedal midfoot - I don't want a pronounced instep in the wrong place
- zero heel drop. There is a search engine for runners which sorts trainers by amount of heel drop.
- reasonably stiff sole. But this is not that essential as cycling insoles - I use Specialized - make them stiff enough so that I don't feel the pedal too much. The other thing that I have done is just cut out a piece of flat plastic to go under my insole. That makes a noticeable difference.

I've tried a few pairs of Five Tens or similar shoes from Northwave, etc. They are good on dry days in winter, but they are all way overbuilt for on road cycling, so they are too hot for me in summer. Also they are horrendous when they get wet. Soak up loads of water and take ages to dry. Also I find Five Tens a little bit too grippy - can be hard to make fine adjustments to my foot position.

What I would really like to try is an SPD shoe with a flat / wedge sole, where you have the option to cover up the cleat hole on the base, and where there isn't a big raised plate pressing into my foot on the inside of the sole. I tried a few likely looking options but couldn't find on that met those criteria in time for TCR. It may be that an SPD shoe would be too stiff so wouldn't be grippy enough, but would be worth a try as I don't like to be able to feel the front and back of the pedal too much.

The other thing that I am going to try is carbon insoles. I have a pair but not got round to them yet. They might be risky for long distance as ultra stiff.

I've used Innov8 terroc trailrunners for both multiday mountain backpacking, and long distance cycling on flats.

No, membrane, no padding, semi mesh so quick drying and don't overheat.

I will wear w/p socks with them if it's cold and wet though.. Easier to dry separately.

With stiffish supafeet insoles.

(Me n Imelda, wouldn't have had much to chat about, tbh..)

The flavour of innov8 I use are no longer made, so have to be sourced second hand.

But I've not had any foot problems in either situation.

I think the last time I had a blister was about three years ago.. Mainly cos it was a very hot days hiking.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
I wear Giro , can't remember the exact name.
Great on the bike and not bad if I need to get off.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've used Innov8 trailrunners for both multiday mountain backpacking, and long distance cycling on flats.

No, membrane, no padding, semi mesh so quick drying and don't overheat.

I will wear w/p socks with them if it's cold and wet though.. Easier to dry separately.

With stiffish supafeet insoles.

(Me n Imelda, wouldn't have had much to chat about, tbh..)

The flavour of innov8 I use are no longer made, so have to be sourced second hand.

But I've not had any foot problems in either situation.

I think the last time I had a blister was about three years ago.. Mainly cos it was a very hot days hiking.

Which Innov8's do you use?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Which Innov8's do you use?

Terrocs 308

Always with the proviso that fit is everything, but many backpackers swear by them, some of us snap them up to store for later

Grippy on wet rock too.

I always use them for touring.

You don't need to carry a separate pair of shoes for side trail walking, or fancy nights out.

In this picture they have dirty girl gaiters over the top which keeps the stones outta yr shoes when hiking..

But you get the general idea.

BigMeatball

When my ride is triathlon training oriented, I use a pair or running shoes because that's what I plan to do on race day: flat pedals + running shoes = quicker transition

When I ride for leisure/long distance, I still use vans. Never had any grip problems, they're relatively cheap and I like to ride in style.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I just wear a pair of Rockport trainers. I've had them for years and they are past their best but they are so comfortable.

12boy

Guru
I have a 15 yr old pair of Shimano mtn shoes with SPDs and another 10 yr old pair 2 sizes too big for 2 pair woolie socks in winter. Those, coupled with neoprene over boots are good to about 15 degees F. Colder than that, hiking boots or Sorels. In the summer it's the regular SPDs without socks (they are smelly) or sandals. Crocs get chewed up by the pedals but sure are comfortable. Stylish, too. In fact, I have my regular beat up pair and some unsullied ones for dressing up.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
At the risk of answering a slightly different question, the (only) advantage of flat pedals for me, is that I can wear whatever the hell shoes I like. If I'm going to wear special shoes for cycling, I am going to have clip-ins - and for me that's two bolt mountain bike stylee so I can still walk in the shoes. (in my case Dromarti - albeit they are overpriced and not really good value)

And to answer the original question, I'd probably wear a pair of commando soled country brogues for flat pedals as the soles are stiff, the soles grippy and they are shoes I like to wear anyway. Crockett & Jones are my favourite brand these days - thankfully I've got all mine cheap(er) but even at the brutal full price they are awfully nice and would be worth the money if you grit your teeth

frank9755

Cyclist
Terrocs 308

Always with the proviso that fit is everything, but many backpackers swear by them, some of us snap them up to store for later

Grippy on wet rock too.

I always use them for touring.

You don't need to carry a separate pair of shoes for side trail walking, or fancy nights out.

View attachment 492693

In this picture they have dirty girl gaiters over the top which keeps the stones outta yr shoes when hiking..

But you get the general idea.
Interesting, I'd have ruled those out on the grounds that they have a large heel drop.
I went for the TerraUltra 260 on the basis they they have zero heel drop. TBH they are not ideal as they have a split sole which has far more sideways flexibility than ideal for cycling.
The search for the perfect shoes goes on!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Interesting, I'd have ruled those out on the grounds that they have a large heel drop.
I went for the TerraUltra 260 on the basis they they have zero heel drop. TBH they are not ideal as they have a split sole which has far more sideways flexibility than ideal for cycling.
The search for the perfect shoes goes on!

Well I don't feel they have a massive heel drop, and because I pedal mainly, if not exclusively with the forefoot I'm not sure how much diffence it makes.

I guess that foot placement is going to have a bearing on all this.

I feel there's enough stiffness for my needs, and not a sideways flex either, but tbh I've not done long distance in other shoes for years, so might try something different just out of interest,

And to preserve the precious, and increasingly hard to come by, Terroc's just for hiking, for which they are ideal.

DDE

398672_1.jpg

Salomon X Uktra 3 GTX.

I got these for hiking in Scotland in summer but they have double up well as cycling shoes in winter. They’re GoreTex so about as good as you can get in terms to dealing with the elements. In recent cold spell I’ve even been using overshoes with them for extra warmth.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For road/hard gravel riding on a drop bar or hybrid I'll wear any sort of trainer that has a reasonably stiff sole. Currently using some Crivit "cycling shoes" from Lidl's as I find them comfortable for both riding and walking in.
When I'm going to do some riding that will involve venturing into muddy woods and I'm taking an MTB, my footwear of choice is always a beaten-up old pair of ankle-height safety work boots. The more used the better, because beaters are fully broken in therefore more comfortable, and if I come off or put a foot down into a patch of liquid mud it doesn't matter a monkeys as the shoes aren't going to look any worse for it..

Top Bottom