Preparing for my first FNRttC - Prep advice welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
What sort of locks do people carry? Only thing i can think of is a Kryptonite New York fahgettaboudit with a cable. but even then, that lock is about 2kg so ive heard.
You don't need to carry a lock - you can always beg other riders into sharing their lock. I use a cheap and cheerful number lock as a cafe lock. It will not prevent any half-serious bike thief (in central London, it would rather be regarded as a gift wrap), but prevents people from just jumping on the bike and ride away. As far as I'm aware, in 10 years of FNRttC, there wasn't a single bike stolen during the ride. At that point of the day, bike thiefs tend to have other things on mind.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You don't need to carry a lock - you can always beg other riders into sharing their lock
<pompous voice> Well, if everyone thought like that, no one would have a lock to share </pompous voice> ;)

Is this an example of "the tragedy of the commons"?

I take a 1980s era cable lock that is sufficient to deter all thieves apart from those equipped with a stout pair of scissors or perhaps a butter knife. But that just lives on my bike all the time. The bikes are rarely (if ever) left entirely unattended - there's always someone milling around, and in anywhere that might actually have a real risk of theft (Breakfast in Hull I remember) then a bike watcher might be appointed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks to all for the helpful advice! It seems there are already a few small changes to my list that needs to be made.

I think 7-8hours will just fly by on the ride as youre out with a big group of people and its all the banter that keeps you in a good mental state and moving forward.
Yeah, bring plenty of banter just in case ....though it's never run out before it would be a disaster if it did because one person forgot to bring an emergency ration ....

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
didn't some old fart write a thing called 'the basics'?

I have read through multiple times but there are small questions i had to ask. Is there a problem with me asking? Have i offended you?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
that's just @dellzeqq 's sense of humour, no offenses I'm sure(we actually tweaked the basics for the new website, and watered down the previous anti mudguard talibanism)
I brought a friend to one York FNRttC and she was so alarmed by The Basics that (it appeared) she had frantically torn her mudguards off with her teeth. There were still splintered remains that she hadn't managed to remove here and there.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yeah, bring plenty of banter just in case ....though it's never run out before it would be a disaster if it did because one person forgot to bring an emergency ration ....
Fortunately it's entirely optional to partake in the banter.

Top Bottom