Preparing for my first FNRttC - Prep advice welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No need for taxi numbers. You will be given a stiff drink and be handed the Silver Derringer. I narrowly escaped this fate once.
Derringer2.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Is a taxi up Ditchling available? I wish I'd known!
On my one and only FNRttC, I had a major crisis of confidence at Ditchling. Aperitif got a photo of me looking deeply contemplative at the top.
No, not contemplative, the other thing.
Suicidal.
Only the thought of a long downhill and a big fryup restored my will to live.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
On one FNRttC, I jumped ship at the half way café, took a very expensive taxi to Gatwick, and headed back to The Smoke on the first available train feeling extremely sorry for myself. The lesson I learned was not to attempt such a ride with a minor chest infection. Never.

that's just @dellzeqq 's sense of humour, no offenses I'm sure(we actually tweaked the basics for the new website, and watered down the previous anti mudguard talibanism)

What's this? Mudguards are no longer frowned upon?

Rushes off to remove guards immediately...

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Nothing much to add over the excellent advice above, just a couple of points:

Check your tyres to see if there are any bits of flint or similar stuck in them to reduce risk of puncture.
If your lights are rechargeable, don't forget to recharge them in good time to avoid last minute faff. If you have anything (lights, GPS etc) that takes batteries then take along some spares, and if they are rechargeable, take charged up ones not flat ones (no one would be so daft would they ... would they? ;) )
Test ride your lighting setup if it's a new combination (new light, old light on different bike) to make sure that the mounts are sound and don't shake loose.
Some small denomination money for the half way stop. You don't want to be paying for your cake and tea with a £20 note.

Enjoy!

Everything is new - New bike and new lights, It will be my carbon that i'll be going out on. My carbon is reserved for rides like these but if its going to be quite wet then theres a chance i might take the triban instead.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Did it ever stop the questions completely?
it greatly reduced some questions. I failed to head off the 'am I too fat/old/slow?' questions, and the 'please send me the GPS of the ride' requests. In fairness most of the e-mail questions were more about the need to ask questions rather than a need for information, and, I suppose, those will always be there.

Top Bottom