Prescription cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welshpaddler

Does anyone have any advice on UK outlets for prescription cycling glasses they can recommend.

My optician, Optic Shop can supply frame with 4 front lenses plus prescription for about £130.00.

Seems reasonable unless you know different.

oldroadman

Veteran
Try Optilabs at Croydon. Worth checking the website. They will supply mail order against a current prescription - make you get the IPD measurement (gap between the pupils) checked and documented, so they can make the specs perfectly.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably the £130 includes inserts rather than direct glazed?
I visited optilabs, didn't personally like any of the direct glazed option (didn't want inserts)
I ended up with fully glazed transition Oakleys, but they were about double the figure quoted. I did dither over them for a long time, £50 off at RxSport finally swung it (recommended retailer), they offer a range of brands

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
+another for Optilabs. I'm on some Oakleys at the mo' thanks to a pressie a few years back, but before that I'd had a few pairs of Optilab frames and lenses. They do the job at about a third of the price of the big brands.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I got my 'cycling glasses' from SpecSavers. (I was fed up with having to buy huge sun-glasses to go over my normal specs when riding my motorbike.) They have a Reactolite coating and I believe only coat me £40.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As above - Optilabs or RX Sport. I've got directly glazed sports glasses with photochromic lenses for around £160 from Optilabs and grey Transitions Oakley Flak Jacket lenses for around £210 from RX Sport

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I got my 'cycling glasses' from SpecSavers. (I was fed up with having to buy huge sun-glasses to go over my normal specs when riding my motorbike.) They have a Reactolite coating and I believe only coat me £40.
I am afraid my experience of the Specsavers chain was like many peoples experiences with branches of Halfords, Worse than useless ! When collecting my new glasses, I literally could not see through them, and when the staff checked the prescription against the lenses supplied, was told that they had been made back to front. A fortnight later went back to collect the next set, again couldn't see worth a dam, so they checked the lenses, ask another guy to re test my eyes, and admitted that the prescription made out by the first eye tester was 'not right' Another two weeks goes by and the 3rd set of glasses were ok for reading but very out of focus at distance. ( they are varifocals, and not my first pair ) Being completely frustrated at this point I asked for a refund, but was talked into a 3rd eye test ' by the shops top man' who was actually a women, and waited another 2 weeks for another set of lenses, which finally, I was able to wear. I am still not convinced that the distance part of the lens is spot on, but at least they are wearable. That is my experience of Specsavers, I certainly will not be going back in a hurry. To support my tale of woe, a work colleague has just collected her first ever pair of glasses from the same outlet. She only went there for a set of VDU readers, but was convinced by the staff that she needed distance as well. They sold her varifocals, which she has since returned to the shop because her vision is worse with them than without them. She is now waiting for a second set to be made for her, because the technician had made the lenses incorrectly, according to the shop staff ! Sound familiar ?

Globalti

Legendary Member
My strong advice is to avoid the high street chains, who won't be able to cope with your requirement. They are bad enough on routine stuff as you can see from the post above. Look around and find a decent independent optician then go along at a time when they are not busy for a chat about frames, prescriptions and curvature. If you have a strong prescription a curved lens won't work but there are frames that are curved but have the lens in a flatter independent sub-frame, a good optician will be able to find something. Be sure however that they are confident their technician can cut the lens to fit the sub-frame, which is another challenge.

If you're lucky enough to live in Lancashire, the very excellent Junaid Ali at Ideal Eye Care near Blackburn is your man. He made me varifocal photochromic glasses in a curved Shopic frame; they were expensive but worth every penny as they are perfect in daylight or dark.

20140412_153049_zps103cdffe.jpg

I grappled with this problem for years - I have a pretty hefty prescription (-5) which makes getting decent eyewear even more difficult

Optilabs are the best budget option - they still don't look great off the bike as the craftily put the bend in the frame no the lenses

In the end though, I want to extreme eyewear who glazed me some cycling specific rudy projects with transition lenses - not cheap at around £260 - but great specs and finally a solution !

Edit: extreme eyewear will put big prescriptions into a curved lense - only one of two outlets that would do this - and advice from many experts that it couldn't be done.

vickster

Legendary Member
My strong advice is to avoid the high street chains, who won't be able to cope with your requirement. They are bad enough on routine stuff as you can see from the post above. Look around and find a decent independent optician then go along at a time when they are not busy for a chat about frames, prescriptions and curvature. If you have a strong prescription a curved lens won't work but there are frames that are curved but have the lens in a flatter independent sub-frame, a good optician will be able to find something. Be sure however that they are confident their technician can cut the lens to fit the sub-frame, which is another challenge.

If you're lucky enough to live in Lancashire, the very excellent Junaid Ali at Ideal Eye Care near Blackburn is your man. He made me varifocal photochromic glasses in a curved Shopic frame; they were expensive but worth every penny as they are perfect in daylight or dark.

View attachment 336575
Those frames would be way too heavy aesthetically for me (they're a bit like the direct glazed options at Optilabs which I tried on and really disliked), hence going for the half framed Oakleys
I'm lucky I guess that I don't have that strong a prescription (around -2.5 from memory)

Big T

Guru
I've had 2 sets of direct glazed prescription sunglasses from Optilabs and they've been really good. My wife recently got a pair from them and the lenses are a bit loose in the frames. We both have photochromatic lenses so that they can be used at night or indoors.

I did look into getting some Oakleys, but they are twice the price - about £330, though the quality is meant to be very good.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've got Oakleys from RXSport - expensive, but worth it. Mine have a distance prescription so I can use them for golf and cycling. I'm on my fourth pair in ten years or so.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got Oakleys from RXSport - expensive, but worth it. Mine have a distance prescription so I can use them for golf and cycling. I'm on my fourth pair in ten years or so.
I'm hoping mine last longer than a couple of years! My prescription doesn't change that much year on year, at least not enough to affect being able to see the road while cycling :smile:

Top Bottom