Prescription cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got my 'cycling glasses' from SpecSavers. (I was fed up with having to buy huge sun-glasses to go over my normal specs when riding my motorbike.) They have a Reactolite coating and I believe only coat me £40.

I used to use the Rudy Project Rx system and get the insert as one of the pairs

Unfortunately they now only "glaze" their own frames

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I am afraid my experience of the Specsavers chain was like many peoples experiences with branches of Halfords, Worse than useless !
Intriguing. I've been using them for years, and have only had one minor problem - and that was caused by miscommunication. Mind you, I've never ventured into varifocals, as with my prescription I'd need a bank loan to buy them. ^_^

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Infield Safety do prescription safety glasses, which I use for cycling and work. They're sourced in Germany and are very good for around £135, but only clear. I've also had Rudy Project direct glazed with swap-over photochromic lenses, but they were about £350 and not as robust (I'm a drystone waller so they have to stand up to some abuse).

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Bill & Taylor in Teignmouth fitted me out with some Norville SRX specs which have a prescription insert and clear, yellow and dark lenses.

Stinboy

Über Member
+1 for Optilabs. I'm -3 in both eyes and the lenses are thick so they do protrude from the frame slightly, but not so much that they look daft.

I went for the photochromatic too at £180, and I was impressed by the speed of delivery. One of the best bike related purchases I've made - I wish I'd done it sooner :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 for Optilabs. I'm -3 in both eyes and the lenses are thick so they do protrude from the frame slightly, but not so much that they look daft.

I went for the photochromatic too at £180, and I was impressed by the speed of delivery. One of the best bike related purchases I've made - I wish I'd done it sooner :smile:

They do now offer thinner lenses for an extra £49

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep I saw that, but decided against it as I'm tighter than a submarine door :smile:

*cough* me too..

Stinboy

Über Member
*cough* me too..

It took me 18 months to justify buying them, I trawled the interweb for discount codes, I even left it a month after getting the 'try before you buy' frame samples to see if they'd give me some money off. All to no avail.

My next trick is going to be to take a thermos into work and use their electicity to boil the kettle for brews at home :smile:

Big T

Guru
It took me 18 months to justify buying them, I trawled the interweb for discount codes, I even left it a month after getting the 'try before you buy' frame samples to see if they'd give me some money off. All to no avail.

My next trick is going to be to take a thermos into work and use their electicity to boil the kettle for brews at home :smile:

Optilabs often do a £20 off deal just before Christmas time. I took advantage of this the first time I ordered a pair, but the 2nd time I needed a pair PDQ, so just paid the full price.

I think you should start a new thread on meanie/clever tips - seem to remember a semi jokey short book on such things a few years ago. And of course the "semi jokey" gives you a get out if anyone accuses you of being too mean.

Oakleys - my first pair were mind boggling expensive something like 18years ago
170209 Old Oakleys.jpg

Battered, been super glued a few times single vision but served me well on a £s/use basis they ended up costing me nothing and I still use them - prescription is still more more or less what I have now for medium and distance - more than good enough for driving or as gash for water sports

However, they were getting on a bit and I really needed varifocal for map reading, gps etc - so

170209 New Oakleys.jpg

Expensive - but probably the last pair of cycling sunglasses I will buy - Absolutely excellent - varifocal - supposedly the lenses were stamped out individually for my prescription - only drawback I can find apart from the price is that they are polaroid which means that everytime I hold my camera up in a portrait sort of way I think the camera is not working ^_^

toffee

Guru
Oakleys - my first pair were mind boggling expensive something like 18years ago
View attachment 336884
Battered, been super glued a few times single vision but served me well on a £s/use basis they ended up costing me nothing and I still use them - prescription is still more more or less what I have now for medium and distance - more than good enough for driving or as gash for water sports

However, they were getting on a bit and I really needed varifocal for map reading, gps etc - so

View attachment 336885

Expensive - but probably the last pair of cycling sunglasses I will buy - Absolutely excellent - varifocal - supposedly the lenses were stamped out individually for my prescription - only drawback I can find apart from the price is that they are polaroid which means that everytime I hold my camera up in a portrait sort of way I think the camera is not working ^_^

Where did you get them from?

Top Bottom