Prescription cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I need glasses for driving, TV and computer, but have been struggling with tinted glasses whilst out on the bike, Lidl specials.
I popped in our local branch of Boots and was quoted £85 for frames with clear, tinted and orange lenses in my script, I thought that was quite a good price, just thought I'd ask on here whether that's a good deal and if there's other options I should think about.

Below is a pair similar to the ones I was quoted for

Dixon-Flip-sports-glasses.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm also after a pair, so would appreciate suggestions as well.

My problem with this is that I'm -12 in one eye and -10.5 in the other so am struggling to find anywhere that'll either do the glasses or someone who supplies decent insert prescription sunglasses plus an insert supplier.

And yes, because I'm blind as a bat despite looking I can't see anyone selling them. Doesn't stop me riding though :tongue:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Optilabs are good - product and service. I would have said they were ugly... until I saw what the Brewer's Boots had offered him.

Does anyone know of a pair of prescription cycling glasses with a modern thin frame?

ThePainInSpain

I paid €90 (about £80) for a pair of prescription sports goggles from Specsavers.......................crap.

They had NO periferal vision whatsoever, so were really quite dangerous .

The ones, you show look ok.

I wear a pair of Lidl specials also, because my eyesight is not too bad in good light. Which is most of the time over here.

Chutzpah

Über Member
I recently got some Sunwise ones from my local optician, and they're not a million miles away from what you've been shown:

http://www.sunwise.co.uk/products/austin-black/

I think my frames were £65 with the prescription insert on top.

I absolutely adore them. After ages of tolerating flies and mud in the eye, and streaming eyes downhill, these are great. The insert sits close to your eye so there's no duff spots in your vision when doing shoulder checks.

I've heard from numerous sources that the problem with a curved prescription lens is that unless you only have a very slight prescription they will distort at the edges, leaving a slightly... nauseous... feeling.

If you're on a really long climb that's taking a fair bit of effort they can start to steam up, but this doesn't happen often or much, lifting the visor for a short while (say five seconds) help, as does levelling out or going back downhill
biggrin.gif

And of course, being able to change the tint of the outer lens is an absolute joy.

Basically, I cannot recommend them enough.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another recommendation for Optilabs from me. Great service and great product.
£160 but well worth the money imo.

They will even send you some frames that you can try before buying.

tyred

Legendary Member
I recently bought frames similar to those in the OP from Amazon and took them to my optician. It cost me more than £85 but I am still delighted with it. I would consider the specs possibly the best cycling accessory I have ever bought as I can now see where I am going without streaming bloodshot eyes full of flies.

Have just started this process myself. Have tried a pair on similar to those of OP and found them uncomfortable - script insert too close to eyes!! Each to their own.

My LSS (local spex shop) only has Uvex to sell and tried pair #1 last night on short ride home and into work this a.m. Will try pair #2 tonight and tomorrow a.m. I think both are ugly but how they perform is more important to me!

Whatever you choose, like bikes, do take them for a test ride before purchasing.

Jim_Noir

I looked at these, then the optician said "Why not just start wearing contacts and normaly cycling sunglasses?" Never looked back.

Just on the subject on glasses, what about rain?

I'm a relatively low script of around -2/-2.5 so ATM I tend to take my glasses off when its raining hard as I can see better but what of these cycling glasses, does the design dissipate the rain better?

Just on the subject on glasses, what about rain?

I'm a relatively low script of around -2/-2.5 so ATM I tend to take my glasses off when its raining hard as I can see better but what of these cycling glasses, does the design dissipate the rain better?

Not really IME, I either take them off if I'm wearing contacts under non prescription lenses or wear a peak on the helmet or a cycling cap when I am wearing prescription specs in inclement weather.

Top Bottom