Prescription cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Which is fine if you wear contacts all day, but I only need them on my bike, hence the need for spex!!!

If I'm wearing contacts they are the disposable kind and I only really wear them when cycling (not all day), I prefer the specs (vision is that bit more crisp) but as said above, some folk can't get on with contacts or have a prescription which bars them.

I was thinking dailies for contacts to solve 'the rain issue' TBH I've worn them before but stopped for forgotten reasons.

I'll try the baseball cap, I certainly wear a hat when its raining and I'm on foot so will try squeezing one under the helmet :thumbsup:

Jim_Noir

I started with the wear once ones, but only wore them while cycling so not worth the cash really, so went to monthly.. then an optician told me that I didn't need to chuck them away every month since I only wear them to cycle... so a pair lasts an age now!

potsy

Rambler
I wear the fortnightly disposables, if only wearing for an hour or so a day then I can get much longer from a pair, have built up a little stockpile now, can then put my subscription on hold for 3 months until I need more :thumbsup:

Might look into the prescription insert type glasses one day, what do you do if you go indoors though with the tinted lenses? Carry a spare pair of ordinary glasses?

potsy

Rambler
Buy reactolights, I cycle more in my normal specs because they are so :thumbsup:

Wanted some but was told my prescription was too high :sad:
Used to cycle in my prescription sunglasses but they are very small and don't give much protection/peripheral vision.

Gandalf

Veteran
I have a pair of Optilab's prescription cycling glasses, though the actual make is actually Loubsol. I went for the reactive lenses. Pleased with them overall. The only minor niggles are that the frame is rather heavy looking. This has two effects, when it isn't bright enough for the reaction lenses to darken they do look rather grim. I can best describe it as a nerdy welding goggles effect.

The other thing is that when you are doing an over the shoulder check the thickness off the frame is a PITA, not enough to obstruct vision per se but very irritating.

The service from Optilabs was very good and from my POV being within cycling distance is a bonus. I'd buy them again unless I could find a pair with a lighter frame for the same price elsewhere, without resorting to inserts.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Thanks for that about Boots. I bought a pair of prescription swimming goggles from them years ago, so wondered if they did cycle glasses as well.
My prescriptions are even worse than DC's.

Chutzpah

Über Member
I'm one of those people that don't get on with contacts. I've tried them but they're simply not for me - I'm not very good with things coming near my eyes.

With regards to rain, I just wear a cycling cap, which keeps the majority of it off.

Buy reactolights, I cycle more in my normal specs because they are so :thumbsup:

Apologies to those that are too high but I cant recommend these lenses enough, been using them for 10 years or more and find them invaluable compared to prescription sunnies. Only grip is they dont work through glass e.g. driving as they are actually UV activated and apparently UV is filtered out by a lot of windows.

Top Bottom