Prescription cycling specs for £50!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here's how I did it: went to my local optician to get my glasses repaired after an "export moment" when the hinge snapped in South Africa. Optician tells me it will take 5 to 7 days. "Sod that" thinks I, so I asked her for the name of the bloke who does the repairs. Went round to see him and found a scruffy chaotic shop full of piles of frames and a youngish bloke who turns out to be a complete genius with spec repairs. He fixed mine for nothing even though the temporary repair I'd had done in SA had damaged the screw thread but since this took him nearly an hour I insisted on giving him £20.

During this hour the conversation turned to cycling eyewear and my need for something cheap but robust and not tinted to protect my eyes from dirt and cold wind in the winter. To cut short a long story he is making me some prescription specs using a stylish modern good quality branded plastic sports frame I found by rummaging in his piles, for £50!

Ask around, there is certainly someone in your area who might be willing to do this for you. I was lucky in that I got into the local spec repair mafia with almost no effort, you might need to do some research and make a few phone calls. It's the self-employed bloke you want, not the big lab.

I'll come back next week and let you know how it went!

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
D & A use Nationwide Frame Repairs in Heywood, Lancs 01706 369 530. typical repair £20 and done within 48 hours. They will ring with a quote before they carry on .

Top Bottom