Pressure cookers... hints, tips, and recipes/cook-times....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears
Have just bought my first pressure cooker. Was inspired by three things mainly; reducing gas usage in the Motorhome, being able to prepare beans/pulses from dry rather than tinned and quick soupery.

IMG_5502.JPG

The 'Hawkins' Classic (fabulous Indian engineering) comes with a surprisingly good but very dated recipe book! So, what do you use yours for, fave recipes, good sources of info etc?

Help this Pressure Cooking virgin pop his weight!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Ooh !!! What a very interesting thread. :bravo:

I've been considering getting one of those for some time, what with having a very small kitchen and a very large family to feed.

I watch and wait with baited breath :becool:

KneesUp

Guru
My top pressure cooker tip is to make sure you reassemble the valve properly after cleaning.

As a kid at home, I did not do this, which resulted in a lot of hot stew being applied to the artex ceiling in my parent's kitchen in a very short amount of time, at quite high pressure, and them me spending a long time stood on a stool trying to clean it off with various cloths which were all shredded by the artex.

They've had the ceiling re-done now, but you could see the mark on the artex for at least a decade after.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I remember an aunt knocking herself clean out by opening it without first relieving the pressure. That was on one of the older types though. I don't think that can happen on the new ones ?

Katherine

Guru
Bolognaise in 20 minutes. I dry fry the onion and garlic with the mince then add the liquids, diced carrot and peppers, dried Italian herbs and a generous slug of Lee and Perrins. Because you need more liquid (I use stock and a tin of tomatoes) you need to thicken with a little blended cornflour. Let it come off the boil before attempting to stir it in otherwise it clumps.

To reduce pressure quickly, you need to run it under the cold tap.
If you are also trying to save water, then just take it off the heat and allow time to leave it to cool down.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I used mine for stock, soup and cooking pulses.

My top tip for making stock is to set a timer and keep it on your person.
I can vouch for the safety devices on old Prestige pressure cookers as they had apparently all worked in sequence, the final one being a solder plug which had melted and sprayed solder all over the splash back, allowing what was left of the vapourised contents to coat every surface in the kitchen.

It's replacement is also a Prestige but a newer design which is rubbish. It's currently hors de combat due to an out of stock part of the pressure regulator which lasts less time than a gasket before it breaks.

Katherine

Guru
The 'Hawkins' Classic (fabulous Indian engineering) comes with a surprisingly good but very dated recipe book! So, what do you use yours for, fave recipes, good sources of info etc?

I expect that any recipe book for pressure cookers will be outdated.

Are there particular ingredients or recipes that you are interested in?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I expect that any recipe book for pressure cookers will be outdated.

Are there particular ingredients or recipes that you are interested in?
Apart from soups, stocks and pulses, I’m interested in what others use theirs for. Lots of online stuff of course, but always good to hear direct recommendations. :-)

This is becoming a fave site:

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/

ozboz

Guru
Perfect rice !
One cup basmati
Two cups cold water

Bring to boil , when steam starts really pushing throughthe valve close it , leave 30 secs and then turn off heat , and leave , the rice should absorb the steam ,

You may need to play around with ratio of rice to water , but if you persevere you will get there

Top Bottom