Presta Valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Had my first puncture this morning on my new road bike which has presta valces which i have never used before. I fixed the puncture in no time and was ready to put my tube back in the tyre. attached my pump (which screws on to it) pumped it slightly but when i went to unscrew my pump from the valve, the valve core unscrewed from the shaft that is connected to the tube. No matter what i didn't i couldn't get the valve core to stay connected to the shaft.

Any ideas on what to do in this situation? at present i'm stuck with a wheel i can't inflate!!

SimonC

Fit a new tube, now that youve knackered this one;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Normally the pump will have a lever. You push the pump on the valve, pull the lever which creates a seal around the valve.

I think you will find the screw on the valve attachments is for schraeder valves ie the car type

Exactly which pump is it that you have ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
i have the same presta tubes where the valve unscrews. Only found this out when i had a puncture on the FNRttC. Went to take the cap off the tube and I unscrewed the valve. Just screwed it back in and inflated with my pump as usual. They are Continental inners.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Dave Davenport said:
I've found that once the valve inner has come unscrewed you need to nip it up with pliers to get it tight enough to stay put when disconnecting a pump.

I'll try this when i get in. *fingers crossed*

I find these values very delicate too, broke one the other day fortunately I was at home. I had to replace the inner tube.

I now use a presta adapter (Only cost a quid)which seems to give better protection - connection than using the presta connector on my floor pump

dudi

ohh, maybe that's the problem i have with a 3 day deflating puncture in my rear wheel...
I'll get the pliers out and try to tighten it up.

with your pump - will it work if the pump is only screwed on to the valve a few turns? The less it's screwed on, the less likely it is to take the core out when unscrewing.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
worked the first time when i tested it, but then as soon as i got the pressure up, the same thing happened and all the air came gushing out. damn depressing!

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
just bought some new inner tubes (with the valve connected to the shaft) and a track pump that doesn't screw on..

what should have been a 5 min job, turned into 2 and a half days!!!

Top Bottom