Prettiest CX bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Never ridden a disc brake CX and I've just upgraded my own CX to Avid Shorty Ultimates which are more than good enough, but I'd like to do a test sometime to see the difference. When my current CX bike gets wrecked I 'may' go disc....

The Couch

Über Member
What's he changing to?
Trek
and it's going to be his first change of bike brand since turning pro ... don't know if that will affect him though
(I assume he'll want to co-operate with Trek to maybe make more US riders aware and interested in "veldrijden" to make sure the pro-sport has a future)

VamP

Banned
Trek
and it's going to be his first change of bike brand since turning pro ... don't know if that will affect him though
(I assume he'll want to co-operate with Trek to maybe make more US riders aware and interested in "veldrijden" to make sure the pro-sport has a future)

Maybe it's a sponsorship thing. I saw a recent top end Trek, and the tubes on it were the very definition of 'oversize'. I'm sure they are a decent enough bike.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Not a great photo but these look great in the mud....

c_13_3XCIC_grn_6.png
Not sure I could justify the Di2 on this, cost a fortune when the inevitable happens and gets damaged!

The Couch

Über Member
Never ridden a disc brake CX and I've just upgraded my own CX to Avid Shorty Ultimates which are more than good enough, but I'd like to do a test sometime to see the difference. When my current CX bike gets wrecked I 'may' go disc....
Hearing the commentary during pro-races and reactions of the pro-riders (and results of the choices made). It seems that the best choice is really depending on the circumstances.

Disc brakes seem to be worth considering when riding:
  • Fast dry tracks with lots of corners and/or hills with down-sections (better, later breaking)
  • Muddy tracks that are flat and without long running sections (less interferences of mud in the brakes)
But muddy-as-hell tracks with long running sections and/or with "cycleable" climbs are -so far - better with the lighter bikes.
(All energy savings matter at the end of the race)

We haven't had snowy or frozen tracks yet this season, so I can't really comment on those yet.
(Although frozen tracks are probably similar to fast tracks)

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The stem looks like one of them shrunken monkey's heads. Otherwise, lovely.

The f.........

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
And it's got a road chainset on.

It's also got a pussy plate on the back hasn't it (else no need for the Wi-Fli)!

The chainset isn't a 53 though! Looks like compact at least! And we all know that most people who ride cross bikes are wierdo's that think the roads are too bad to ride road bikes!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Woss a pussy plate Rob?

A cassette with more than 27t, if you have a double, anything more than a 25t with a compact. Also, when my 26t or 27t (I don't even know what is on there) gets swapped for a 25t, the new rule will be anything with more than 25t = pussy plate!

Top Bottom