Primary or Secondary a on a dual carriageway (left lane)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
The photo below shows my position on a 30mph deal-carriageway. In my opinion, there is no way any cyclist should be in secondary position at this point, as there is an overtaking lane to the right. My speed on average is 10mph.
I also think 2 abreast is fine too. Out of curiosity, I was wondering where everyone else would position themselves in this example. ( In the photo here is a roundabout about 250 meters ahead, but please assume that this is a road without junctions, roundabouts etc for a mile or 2 miles)

left_most.jpg

Primary

Depends on traffic and round-a-bout exit.

If I was going left I'd stay secondary.
Straight over, I'd choose primary, but how early I took the position would depend on traffic.
If right, primary in lane 2.

Edit:
Just noticed you said, ignore the junction. I personally take a secondary on a dual carriageway, although entitled to take a primary position, I'd prefer a closer pass from somebody nipping past me in secondary, than a close pass from annoyed motorists.

I take secondary where necessary at road junctions, but find that being as little of a hold up to cars as possible, massively reduces the amount of incidents I've had with angry motorists. Some drivers even look confused when I give them a "wave thanks" for following me around a junction instead of passing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr_Kipling

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Depends on traffic and round-a-bout exit.

If I was going left I'd stay secondary.
Straight over, I'd choose primary, but how early I took the position would depend on traffic.
If right, primary in lane 2.

Edit:
Just noticed you said, ignore the junction. I personally take a secondary on a dual carriageway, although entitled to take a primary position, I'd prefer a closer pass from somebody nipping past me in secondary, than a close pass from annoyed motorists.

I take secondary where necessary at road junctions, but find that being as little of a hold up to cars as possible, massively reduces the amount of incidents I've had with angry motorists. Some drivers even look confused when I give them a "wave thanks" for following me around a junction instead of passing.

"(Please assume that this is a road without junctions, roundabouts etc for a mile or 2 miles)"

Somewhere between primary and secondary :smile:. Seriously though, find a route that avoids DC's, if you can't fair enough but the only way I would use a DC was if there was no alternative and I had a eyeball sizzling rear light.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My speed on average is 10mph.
Me, if I stay in secondary I get close passed, in primary (which I think is appropriate) I get beeped.
Nowadays I take the park route instead :smile:
Of course, you are faster than me and may not have a park route available.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It all depends. In that sort of traffic, wherever I fancied - far enough out from the kerb to be visible and to force traffic to overtake properly. In much heavier traffic I'd be using that useful wide lane to the left (shared with pedestrians, as shown by the concrete gizmos) so that I could get past more quickly.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
In the absence of junctions, pinch points, poor road surface etc, I would be in secondary. But best would be to find an alternate route.

Top Bottom