Prince Philip "retires"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO

Big Andy

Über Member
Well I wish him well. In my opinion the country is much better off, finacially, spiritually and culturally because of the Royal Family, especially the senior Royals. Prince Phillip was and is a breath of fresh air, a friend of mine had lunch with him last year and was converted to a monarchist from being very much sat on the fence, he said Prince Philip was charming, very witty and quite inspirational.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Has some multi-millionaire old duffer retired from a life of riley, state-sponsored globe trotting jollies and occasional insults to foreigners?.

Tim Hall

Well I wish him well. In my opinion the country is much better off, finacially, spiritually and culturally because of the Royal Family, especially the senior Royals. Prince Phillip was and is a breath of fresh air, a friend of mine had lunch with him last year and was converted to a monarchist from being very much sat on the fence, he said Prince Philip was charming, very witty and quite inspirational.
A good try, but Reg is still winning.

byegad

Legendary Member
We're all, to some extent, a product of the environment we have grown up in. I dare say were I born into minor royalty and then managed to marry the future Queen I may have exhibited certain upper class twit characteristics (as opposed to the lower class ones I do exhibit)

I'd like to cut him some slack. There are huge numbers of people way younger than him who are retired and not doing anything much at all. He has "worked" for 30 years beyond the stat retirement age. Sure it's not hard work glad handing but it's a lot more than most retirees do
I agree wholeheartedly. He has fulfilled a difficult job with a touch of individuality not displayed by any other Royal of his generation. He is 'of the upper class' and shows it, but I'd guess that without the conscious 'rank' that he needs to maintain with peasants like me, he's a decent bloke who can have a laugh at himself as well as others.

GM

Legendary Member
but I'd guess that without the conscious 'rank' that he needs to maintain with peasants like me, he's a decent bloke who can have a laugh at himself as well as others.

When I lived in the east end late 60's, we used to see him pull up in a taxi and get his jellied eels from Tubby Isaacs at Aldgate.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would suggest that many on here myself included have no idea how hard the guy has worked over they years for this country. Sure as hell I would not want to spend everyday thinking myself or my family might be in a snipers sights. In my humble I think he has been great for the country.

DanZac

At the end of the day, whatever our opinions of the royal family may be (and there have been some shocking things said in this thread) they have provided insperation and genuine happiness to many millions of people.
How many of our parents would have been overjoyed to recieve a card from the queen on their 100th birthday? How many criticaly ill children have had their day brightened up by a visit from one of the younger royals? How many of our deserving working class and military heroes, have been overjoyed at a visit to the palace for an investiture? I'd wager a good few.
lastly how many of us or our parents are still carrying out any work for their country at Philips age? Not many I'd guess.
Ok he may not have spent 40 years digging coal or shoveling shoot, but neither have the majority of us!
I personally hope he gets to spend the last few years of his life with his feet up, its more than deserved as reward for a lifetime of duty and serving our nation.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
At the end of the day, whatever our opinions of the royal family may be (and there have been some shocking things said in this thread) they have provided insperation and genuine happiness to many millions of people.
How many of our parents would have been overjoyed to recieve a card from the queen on their 100th birthday? How many criticaly ill children have had their day brightened up by a visit from one of the younger royals? How many of our deserving working class and military heroes, have been overjoyed at a visit to the palace for an investiture? I'd wager a good few.
lastly how many of us or our parents are still carrying out any work for their country at Philips age? Not many I'd guess.
Ok he may not have spent 40 years digging coal or shoveling shoot, but neither have the majority of us!
I personally hope he gets to spend the last few years of his life with his feet up, its more than deserved as reward for a lifetime of duty and serving our nation.
There may also be a chance that his health may be failing, after all he has had a couple of 'procedures' consummate with age in the past few years.

There may also be a chance that his health may be failing, after all he has had a couple of 'procedures' consummate with age in the past few years.
95 y.o. whose health is failing, don't announce they are continuing to do what they do for another 4 months. I'm sure he's finding it tough, but if his health was failing he'd be stopping more quickly.

Amusing aside: Apparently the fact that the household staff had been called to a meeting made everyone speculate the worst, and newspapers prepare copy. Apparently the Sun jumped the gun.

1493887603958-phil.png

Top Bottom