Prince Phillip passes away.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Super privileged wealthy person dies because of old age. It's sad but I never knew him.
I don't think many on here, or even elsewhere knew him. I'm sure he was privileged but at what price?
Can you imagine being interested in marrying a Queen and being told, yeah okay but you won't be able to do as you like or say as you like and you'll be incaserated in a two or three places and you'll always have to be two steps behind your wife. You won't have many friends as you'll be spending most of your time with your immediate family. You've got to hand it to him for taking it on.
Things might have changed since the fifties but it still can't be a barrel of fun, hence Harry jumping ship.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Radio Scotland has been roped in as well but what’s really pissed off my wife is there’s no Gardners’ World tonight.😡
And I'm pissed off that the Scottish Loch programme before has gone too:sad:. Didn't realise its like the 3rd episode...Bummer, I was looking forward to it:angry:.

captain nemo1701

I don't think many on here, or even elsewhere knew him. I'm sure he was privileged but at what price?
Can you imagine being interested in marrying a Queen and being told, yeah okay but you won't be able to do as you like or say as you like and you'll be incaserated in a two or three places and you'll always have to be two steps behind your wife. You won't have many friends as you'll be spending most of your time with your immediate family. You've got to hand it to him for taking it on.
Things might have changed since the fifties but it still can't be a barrel of fun, hence Harry jumping ship.
Royalty is served up as a sugary Disney-esque fantasy. In reality, you are under the constant glare of the right wing tabloids whose only interest in royalty is selling papers. I'm no royalist but I respect Megan & Harry for going overboard. Gawd...sounds like a nightmare being royal.

captain nemo1701

The Prince Phil special will probably be funnier.
A number of posh conservative people have said today that he 'liked to speak his mind'...well...I'd be interested to see what thought process were behind some of his infamous gaffes. If they do a top ten, my money's on the 'China incident', being no. 1.

A number of posh conservative people have said today that he 'liked to speak his mind'...well...I'd be interested to see what thought process were behind some of his infamous gaffes. If they do a top ten, my money's on the 'China incident', being no. 1.
Well ...
At Australian customs the Duke was told he'd be asked the same questions as anyone else. Asked if he had a criminal record, he replied, "I had no idea it was still a requirement."

Chromatic

Legendary Member

One of the bits of the Phil-fest I heard today touched on the fact that he often had to meet many people in the course of one of his duties, during these times he would like to say something to at least one of them that would be amusing or light hearted, possibly even a little irreverent, the many many times this went off without a hitch never got reported, the odd time it didn't made headline news.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
on the 'China incident', being no. 1.

Many of the papers went crackers over 'slitty eyes' although some more serious commentators said the Chinese weren't fussed about it.

Then there was 'built by Indians'.

Not to mention the time I heard him bollock a group of Durham students for a misplaced apostrophe in their banner when, in fact, the apostrophe was in the correct place.

"I hope you lot aren't studying English."

The students weren't bothered, quite the reverse, they were delighted to have been singled out from the crowd.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
He came from a different generation, attitudes were different. These days you can't offend just about anyone, otherwise you'll be getting a call from plod.
Pretty soon you won't even be able to swear in public, as Simon Phoenix ( wonderfully played by Wesley Snipes) found out in Demolition Man.

View: https://youtu.be/LQIRD57lls8

Swanned by buck house on my evening constitutional bike ride.
Moderate gathering a few deep, other folk on the monument opposite, lots of flowers if not mega, all very quiet and restrained, international news crews in their small shelters opposite.
RIP
Condolences to the queen.
Supposedly it was a love match (or lust and why not) - though what do I know - definitely a good looking pair.
His mum was an interesting character of course.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well ...
At Australian customs the Duke was told he'd be asked the same questions as anyone else. Asked if he had a criminal record, he replied, "I had no idea it was still a requirement."
1617998184446.png

by the by, in case someone thinks he was just an old fogey living in the past.
as i recall he was using a prestel mail account before many folk on here were even vaguely aware (or maybe born) that anything like the internet/beyond pigeon post and licky stamps existed.
google the hack.
I used to go drinking with someone whose wife had more than a fling with someone involved in this drama.

Top Bottom