Private dental thoughts, experiences, opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had one and a half hours of drilling and filling yesterday. Not being too keen on having 11 anesthetic injections, I opted for the 'deaden the gums gel' before those needles went in.:ohmy: It helped to stop about 90% of the injection pain I'd say, but the drilling made my head feel like it was vibrating. I asked the dentist if he could cap my front bottom teeth that for some reason seem to have been ground down by me grinding my teeth he said. I have no recollection of me being a teeth grinder, but he said he couldn't see any other reason, so it must be me. Anyway, he said having them capped doesn't come under the NHS as they don't give me pain so it'd be classed as cosmetic treatment meaning me having to pay. I can accept that, so I'm thinking of 'going private'. Before I left, the dentist arranged for someone to phone me and low and behold they phoned in 5 minutes, which was a bit difficult as I was next to a main road and my mouth was still dead from the anesthetic. They phoned back later and asked if I was interested in their treatment, saying that if I was it'll be £75 for a consultation and they'd prefer it if I paid over the phone there and then. Being careful with my pennies I told them I didn't have my bank card with me and would pay on the day of the consultation, giving me time to think about it and to ask advice, hence my thread! My main concern is that I have https://oralcancerfoundation.org/complications/osteoradionecrosis/, which makes me wonder if they'll just take my money then tell me I can't have those gold teeth or fillings I've always fancied! 🤔

Mods, If you think this is more a health concern rather than a Cafe type question, please move it to the Personal Matters part of CC, not the Health & Fitness part, as I've posted dental questions, comments on there before and received very few answers/replies.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would ask the individual who wanted £75 for the consultation what the ball park figure for the work might cost. I would imagine that your NHS dentist must have given them a rough idea of the extent of the work.
I'm a bit biased. Coming from a medical family, I was taught from an early age that private dentists were utter chancers.

Are we talking private Dentists here or Dentists that take on private patients?

I have had a 'Denplan' policy for over 20 yrs as in the past I could never guarantee being able to attend appointments arranged in the week due to work and my Dentist had a Saturday morning slot for 'private patients '.

The very same surgery deals with NHS patients alongside private one's so would this be an option as you clearly know the Dentist already, do they support a scheme such as Denplan?

I pay around £28 per month but for that I see the Dentist every 6 months and the Hygiene fella every 3, X-rays, fillings and even a root canal repair once is all covered.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
i'd be a bit wary of someone who wants paying before you've met them. Do some research on private dentists in your area and hopefully get some reviews / recommendations. are there any local Accy facebook groups you can ask for recommendations on?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Like others I've been with Denplan for 20+ years, paying about £28 a month. It means 6-monthly check-ups, 3-monthly hygienist and most things covered. For me it's decent value. SWMBO's still paying as-is but she generally has much better dental health than I do, mainly because she's not landed face-first into the ground several times during her life :B)

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
An appointment I booked months ago (for April) cost me £85 :rolleyes: they're completely private though and will ultimately do as I wish to pay for

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My sister has a Denplan, think it's 30 something a month. Always had good service, but as others have said I would not go with that particular one soley on principle. Anyone who wants money over the phone before even seeing or hearing the extent of my needs in detail can jog on.

a.twiddler

Veteran
You might well find that given your medical history, a private dentist would not want to take you on due to possible complications and the need for follow up treatment which might eventually throw you back on the NHS to get things fixed. Probably happy to take your money for a consultation though, and maybe that's the only way to find out, to give you something to go on, or maybe get a recommendation for someone who will do it.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a private dental practice 15 minutes walk from here. I'm going to ask them later today how much etc. I doubt they'll be cheaper than £75 though. I walked in the place about 2 years ago and was immediately met with "We aren't taking NHS patients on and here's our price list"!

Top Bottom