Private dental thoughts, experiences, opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't take this the wrong way but if you balk at paying £75 for a consultation I would imagine you'll have a heart attack when you find out how much they'll be wanting for some Crowns.

My missus had one done and it was around £220 on the NHS because it had broken away, I bet you'll be looking at £300-£500 privately.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Don't take this the wrong way but if you balk at paying £75 for a consultation I would imagine you'll have a heart attack when you find out how much they'll be wanting for some Crowns.

My missus had one done and it was around £220 on the NHS because it had broken away, I bet you'll be looking at £300-£500 privately.
Seriously I'm willing to pay a couple of thousand if they could give me those 'before and after' advert teeth (the after ones I mean). I doubt they could though as a private dentist told me 2 years ago that the only way that could be achieved is by veneers and they can't be fitted on my bottom teeth, due to how my jaws line up she told me. If I was told yesterday that if I don't go ahead with their treatment, due to them not being able to offer treatment, then I don't have to pay the £75 I'd be up for it. I'm not being a tight wad here as 2 years ago I paid £250 for this gel pack and a kind of molded gum shield that held the gel while it supposedly whitened my teeth. I'm willing to pay anything(ish) just as long as I'm not being taken for a ride!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It depends on who you get, they are not all utter chancers.
Where I am there is no way you would get a NHS dentist at the moment, and even if you are registered with them a lot wont do more involved work on the NHS. That's been my experience, say if you wanted a root canal and loads of crowns, or a bridge, no chance you will have to pay privately.
As a ball park figure at my place a crown would start off at about £500.
I pay £15.00 a month to be in the care plan and you get 2 check ups per year and 2 hygienist visits. Its worth it in my opinion as I have had really bad toothache before now and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.My dentist will see you the same day, NHS dentists in my experience will make you wait weeks even if you are in agony.
Look on their website, they should have a fee guide. Also I've knocked them down in price before by a few hundred just saying will you do it for x and whats your best offer etc?

vickster

Legendary Member
Seriously I'm willing to pay a couple of thousand if they could give me those 'before and after' advert teeth (the after ones I mean). I doubt they could though as a private dentist told me 2 years ago that the only way that could be achieved is by veneers and they can't be fitted on my bottom teeth, due to how my jaws line up she told me. If I was told yesterday that if I don't go ahead with their treatment, due to them not being able to offer treatment, then I don't have to pay the £75 I'd be up for it. I'm not being a tight wad here as 2 years ago I paid £250 for this gel pack and a kind of molded gum shield that held the gel while it supposedly whitened my teeth. I'm willing to pay anything(ish) just as long as I'm not being taken for a ride!
Maybe just believe what you’ve been told before by a qualified private dentist 🤷‍♀️ rather than the tosh they advertise on TV? Were your teeth actually any whiter?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Maybe just believe what you’ve been told before by a qualified private dentist 🤷‍♀️ rather than the tosh they advertise on TV?
I sometimes wish I'd been offered the option of having all my teeth out before they started the radiotherapy treatment. I didn't know I'd end up in this predicament all those years ago. In fact I wasn't told of my/about osteoradionecrosis till I had a 'concerned about stuff found by a dentist' visit to the maxillofacial clinic nearly 6 years ago. "You do realise extractions are almost impossible" I was asked/told. They also added that I must mention this to any dentist suggesting tooth extraction as it won't be on any records they have access to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a private dental practice 15 minutes walk from here. I'm going to ask them later today how much etc. I doubt they'll be cheaper than £75 though. I walked in the place about 2 years ago and was immediately met with "We aren't taking NHS patients on and here's our price list"!
I went in this aft' and found they only charge £20 for a consultation/assessment and scale. One of their dentists walked by as I was talking to the receptionist. I stopped him and asked if my front bottom teeth could be fixed, pulling my bottom lip down to show him the damage. Straight away he said "I can fix those easily". I also mentioned the osteoradionecrosis. He said it won't be a problem as it's the top of the teeth that needs attention, not the base or the root. Looking at their price list, it's £270 for crowns and £400 for gold ones. Three teeth need capping, so maybe have one gold one.🤔

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I went in this aft' and found they only charge £20 for a consultation/assessment and scale. One of their dentists walked by as I was talking to the receptionist. I stopped him and asked if my front bottom teeth could be fixed, pulling my bottom lip down to show him the damage. Straight away he said "I can fix those easily". I also mentioned the osteoradionecrosis. He said it won't be a problem as it's the top of the teeth that needs attention, not the base or the root. Looking at their price list, it's £270 for crowns and £400 for gold ones. Three teeth need capping, so maybe have one gold one.🤔
I'd go for one gold, one silver, one bronze and refer to them as your podium teeth👍

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
nhs dentists do caps aka crowns as a band 3 treatment £282 .80, its odd that your dentist will not and its makes you wonder if its a ply to get you to cough up the extra for private treatment

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
nhs dentists do caps aka crowns as a band 3 treatment £282 .80, its odd that your dentist will not and its makes you wonder if its a ply to get you to cough up the extra for private treatment
Is that £282.80 for one cap/crown? If so it's more than the private one charges I went to see today.🤔 The NHS dentist I saw yesterday won't have any vested interest in the private department of the practice as he told me that it was his last day there and he was moving to another practice.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is that £282.80 for one cap/crown? If so it's more than the private one charges I went to see today.🤔 The NHS dentist I saw yesterday won't have any vested interest in the private department of the practice as he told me that it was his last day there and he was moving to another practice.
How is he going to fix them easily if he’s left the practice? 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom