Private dental thoughts, experiences, opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Right so the prices were NHS (albeit not exact)
not private?
You'd think 'cosmetic dental treatment' would mean stuff like gold teeth and veneers, not stuff like caps/crowns that just make your teeth look 'normal'.🤔 If your teeth are so bad that it affects your self confidence badly then surely having them corrected so it doesn't affect your self confidence is more necessary than pure vanity.🤔

vickster

Legendary Member
You'd think 'cosmetic dental treatment' would mean stuff like gold teeth and veneers, not stuff like caps/crowns that just make your teeth look 'normal'.🤔 If your teeth are so bad that it affects your self confidence badly then surely having them corrected so it doesn't affect your self confidence is more necessary than pure vanity.🤔
Still classed as cosmetic if not clinically necessary to resolve symptoms like pain, disease (no different to cosmetic nose jobs, tummy tucks, boob jobs, calf implants, penis enlargements, Botox, fillers, face lifts etc which are for appearance not disease or symptom resolution)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Still classed as cosmetic if not clinically necessary to resolve symptoms like pain, disease (no different to cosmetic nose jobs, tummy tucks, boob jobs, calf implants, penis enlargements, Botox, fillers, face lifts etc which are for appearance not disease or symptom resolution)
Yeah, I know but...... I had loads of small fillings the other day and the week before, all 'free' on the NHS, yet they were so small I didn't know I had them and I certainly wasn't in any pain. Yet the NHS won't fix my 3 ground down front bottom teeth that I see in the mirror every day and think :ohmy:. As for your cosmetic surgery examples, yes the NHS won't pay for them, but say for example that if you've had facial cancer or been involved in a road crash and it 'caved your face in' they would do the necessary work on the NHS. I know I'm going round in circles here, but I Just thought I'd have my say!:okay:

Edit...Being a tightwad I'm not too keen on paying nearly a grand (that's 3 or 4 pairs of Loakes or 2 pairs of Crockett & Jones, in my currency🧐) to have those 3 teeth repaired, but I have to think about how much better I'll feel when they've been capped and that gold tooth I hope I can have will look soooo :becool: :laugh: :okay:

2nd edit... I once saw a 'rapper' with a small diamond in one of his gold teeth. I wonder If they could fit one of those as well as a gold tooth?🤔 I mean, if I'm having this work done I might as well go the whole hog...as they say!! :whistle: ;)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Think about how it'll benefit the NHS, with all that 'well being feeling' I'll have, so I won't be a burden on the already stretched mental health services!!:whistle: ;)
Are you having counselling then? Maybe some CBT to help you manage your well being would be more beneficial and save you on dentistry costs and pain ;)

Rocky

Hello decadence
Accy - if the real problem is your teeth, then get them fixed; but having straight shining pearly gnashers will not transform your life. It may be worth thinking what the real issue is, and addressing that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Or its as he said in the original post, not eligible on the NHS as its cosmetic...
cheers i missed that bit, in that case i doubt they would do it

Julia9054

Guru
You’re lucky you can get any NHS dentistry at all. There are no NHS dentists taking on new adult patients in my area. My NHS dentist closed down 3 years ago (and I was only able to sign up with them because I had children at the time) and I have been unable to sign up with a replacement. They won’t even put you on a waiting list.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've booked an appointment with the private dentist (12th April) I saw yesterday. They asked for my £20 there and then, but i don't mind. It's not as bad as the £75 the others asked for on Monday.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had my private consultation yesterday. They priced my treatment at £800, which includes 'study models' and three composite veneers. The dentist I visited two years ago said If I had veneers fitted I might break them due to my jawline. I'd gladly pay if it meant the veneers would survive, but I'm thinking about reports I've heard of this dental practice not being too friendly about complaints following treatment.🤔

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
All Our local dentists are only doing emergency appointments no matter if your private or not.

I have had two check ups cancelled over the last couple of years due to no staff availability.

When you ring to book an appointment you get told quite plainly emergency appointments only .

It's shocking treatment.

potsy

Rambler
All Our local dentists are only doing emergency appointments no matter if your private or not.

I have had two check ups cancelled over the last couple of years due to no staff availability.

When you ring to book an appointment you get told quite plainly emergency appointments only .

It's shocking treatment.
Mine has been like this for 2 years, only just started to return back to none emergency treatment.
I managed to get an appointment last week, mainly to make sure I stay registered with them.

Top Bottom