Pro team kit or normal kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
Not seen any Team Sky kits for a while. You guys put the bikes away for the winter? ;)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't understand why you should pay to advertise someone else, or some product or brand. If your LBS wants to give you free jersey that is great, as you are doing them a favour by wearing it. I avoid logos like the plague, will not buy a product if the logo is too obvious. I wear club kit, and plain jerseys, tights, socks etc.

Psyclist

Über Member
I don't understand why you should pay to advertise someone else, or some product or brand. If your LBS wants to give you free jersey that is great, as you are doing them a favour by wearing it. I avoid logos like the plague, will not buy a product if the logo is too obvious. I wear club kit, and plain jerseys, tights, socks etc.

I paid for mine, but got a discount (for being a local) I'm happy to represent my LBS, whether I had to pay for their jersey, because they've helped me with their good service in the past.
I'm not fussed about advertising, even if it was a Team Sky kit (for example) If I like the look of the kit, I'll wear it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I paid for mine, but got a discount (for being a local) I'm happy to represent my LBS, whether I had to pay for their jersey, because they've helped me with their good service in the past.
I'm not fussed about advertising, even if it was a Team Sky kit (for example) If I like the look of the kit, I'll wear it.
Fair enough - just my personal opinion (actually it is a nice shirt too). I remember when LBSs gave away their musette to carry your purchases in. I just don't get the whole 'branding' thing. For example, why would anyone buy a garment with 'Peter Storm' or 'Muddy Fox' or 'Bench' emblazoned on it? It doesn't shout 'cool' to me, just :sad:.

Psyclist

Über Member
Fair enough - just my personal opinion (actually it is a nice shirt too). I remember when LBSs gave away their musette to carry your purchases in. I just don't get the whole 'branding' thing. For example, why would anyone buy a garment with 'Peter Storm' or 'Muddy Fox' or 'Bench' emblazoned on it? It doesn't shout 'cool' to me, just :sad:.

To be fair, I was going to buy a plain jersey, but saw my LBS selling their own jersey, and thought why not? I was debating before about wearing a pro kit myself. But then I stopped being self conscious.
As for branding, mountain bikers and road cyclists probably wear the pro kits because they like it, or want to rep their favourite riders, but I guess others beg to differ. It's all down to preference at the end of they day.

amaferanga

Veteran
For example, why would anyone buy a garment with 'Peter Storm' or 'Muddy Fox' or 'Bench' emblazoned on it? It doesn't shout 'cool' to me, just :sad:.

Um because just maybe they see a cheap and functional fleece or jacket or whatever and they don't focus on the branding? The equivalent from a 'cool' brand often costs several times as much. It's not quite in the same league as full on pro kit down to the handkerchief is it? Having said that Bench in particular do go OTT on the branding on almost all of their clothing. Chavs seem to like it though.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd probably wear kit if the LBS were logo'ing it up as I'm pretty friendly with my local LBS owner (Hi Roy!) and I'd be happy to promote a mates business.

As for regular team kit, forget it - it usually costs more than plain kit, it's not kidding anyone that I ride for Team Bawbag, and even the pros that don the stuff get paid/sponsored before they'd wear it, so why should I be suckered into doing the reverse? It's just nafftacky.

Drago

Legendary Member
Or far too much chavvery, depending on your perspective ;)

It aint for me, but if you want to dress up in an advert for pile cream then go for it. I guess if it makes you happy and doesn't harm anyone else then who are we to say otherwise?

Top Bottom