Problem fitting new pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think you'll find the pedals won't stay in place and will eventually work loose as you've stripped the threads so I'm afraid you'll need new cranks :sad:.

If the crank would end up scrap you might as well clean off all lubricant and glue the pedal into place using Loctite Threadlock. You've really got nothing left to lose at that stage!

Slick

Guru
If the crank would end up scrap you might as well clean off all lubricant and glue the pedal into place using Loctite Threadlock. You've really got nothing left to lose at that stage!
Cept maybe your plums. :eek:

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
So I just went for a quick ride around the estate to test the SKS Chronoplastic mudguards I have just proudly fitted completely forgetting about the pedals in all the excitement. Sure enough as Cycleops as said the right hand pedal had worked itself lose.

As previously mentioned I already previously bought a replacament Shimano Deore T521 crankset a few years ago. I've cleaned the pedal threads with degreaser and they look fine.

I'm not going to attempt anything myself so I'm wondering how much should expect to pay my LBS to install the replacement cranks and pedals?

As said upthread, if you have to remove the pedals again, whether for a new crank or retap, one way to stop the cross thread is to put the pedal to the crank arm and by hand turn it the wrong way. Feel for the step down as the crank/pedal threads reach the start of their threads, then turn the pedal by hand the correct way. If the threads are clean and not crossed, you should find they turn comfortably by hand a least for a few turns. If in any doubt just reverse and start again.
I can only reinforce this as an old service engineer, many time I've employed this maneuver on threads with complete success.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Noting that one of the crank arms had a reverse thread, I feed my pedals in by hand, rotating the wrong way until the threads click, then turn the correct way, by hand if possible, at least a few turns.

Yes this, just use light pressure with fingers as first to get the threads aligned before tightening with any major torque.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
This is a great tip! I watched several videos on YouTube before attempting to fit the new pedals but none mentioned this. My LBS told me to return in an hour and fitted new cranks and the pedals for me for just £10. Excellent service as always from John Geddes Cycles, Widnes.

I'm feeling less nervous about fitting the pedals to my new road bike. I'm just waiting for the M520 I ordered to arrive.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I followed your advice. What a great tip! I was able to fit the new Shimano M520 pedals to my brand new Cannondale Synapse effortless. I was able to screw the full length of the thread by hand and just tighten up with a pedal spanner at the end.

Best piece of bike maintenance advice I've received by far!

2019-02-07-16.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom