Problem with front carbon forks?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBullet

Basically they seem to be pitting in the straight postion, is this something i should be concerned about? Expensive repair? Or is this normal?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have not got a clue what you are talking about.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
RedBullet

RedBullet

when i turn the handlebars to the straight position, it seems to drop into a default position.i just wondered weather that was a bearing issue or weather it was normal?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your bearings have become brindled, meaning they have worn or more likely rusted and pitted and are wanting to settle in the straight ahead position. You might be able to take a little slack out by loosening the pinch bolts and winding the stem bolt down a little but that might have the effect of "locking" them and you will experience the strange side-to-side rolling feeling of a bike with tight head bearings.

The best solution is to replace them, an easy job for even an amateur mechanic if you have a little mechanical sympathy. Otherwise a bike shop can do it in a few minutes using their special tools.

Do you wash your bike upside-down? Water will enter the head bearings and rust them.

lozcs

Guru
Looked into this when I had the same on mine...

Easy job to replace the headset on mine but I needed some expensive tools to do so... ended up just replacing the bearings in the headset as the crown race looked OK. The old bearings were bone dry and a few were misshaped

Blob of grease and new bearings and was as good as new.

screenman

Legendary Member
The cables will also often give the steering the straight ahead setting.

oldroadman

Veteran
Looked into this when I had the same on mine...

Easy job to replace the headset on mine but I needed some expensive tools to do so... ended up just replacing the bearings in the headset as the crown race looked OK. The old bearings were bone dry and a few were misshaped

Blob of grease and new bearings and was as good as new.

It might look OK, but might not be. Whilst you have things apart, it's sensible to replace the lot, well greased, or why not try (expensive but excellent) ceramic bearings?
One other point,people will overtighten headsets, this will inevitably lead to the fault described in the first place. And never use a pressure washer near ANY bearings, head, wheel, or chainset, unless of course you actually enjoy strip and replace routines!

lozcs

Guru
It might look OK, but might not be. Whilst you have things apart, it's sensible to replace the lot, well greased, or why not try (expensive but excellent) ceramic bearings?

In order to change the headset I needed a headset cup remover and a headset cup clamp -expensive tools I don't have. The bearings were about a quid off ebay - it was worth me trying new bearings first. New bearings and a grease and it was as good as new...

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Definately check that its not the cables.........I spent a whole sunday not long ago trying to 'diagnose' a default positioning of the front end, thinking it was a bearing issue. ..........What a waste of time that was

Top Bottom