Professional servicing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
How often - mileage wise - should one get their road-based commuter bike serviced.

Most bike shops say once a year, but is that too generalised an interval?

I expect to be doing around 3-3.5k miles a year. If it helps, I have a derailleur-based aluminium hybrid. I clean and lube it weekly and ride considerately.

Thanks.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Do it yerself you idle bugger!

Um, never? (Others will doubtless quibble, but...)

I lube the chain now and then (when I notice brown) and apart from that, I just replace things when they need replacing (brake pads, tyres, shorts) and fix them if they go wrong (which they don't). Bikes don't need servicing - they are mechanically very simply and robust. Not unless you've been really abusing them - and by the sounds of things, you don't.

Do it yourself.

Regular

1.Clean the rims/and brake blocks.
2.Check the chain length for wear.
3.Check the wheels are true and free of play.
4.Check tyres for cuts/wear.
5.Check cranks and pedals for any play.
5.Take mechs off and give them a good clean.

Annual (TBH every 2-3 years would suffice)

Take wheel hubs apart,clean and re-grease

Ditto headset.

ps I'd also undo bits that might get solid over time every year - ie pedals,bottom bracket and seat post and then re-tighten.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Thanks guys - I regularly do all the things that you said, but it's taking the derailleurs off as well as cleaning & regreasing the hubs that I dread.

I guess the bike will tell me via strange noises when I need to overhaul those.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you wait for strange noises from parts you might be too late, if you keep on top of it then you wil avoid finding something seized to the frame or now needs replacing when some treatment just a little earlier may have saved the part or whatever. Thats my outlook anyway.

I would do as the others have recommended, and if you arent comfortable maybe pay a bike shop to do it once, and show you how they did it, with a gesture of buying some "disposables" (repair kit, inner tubes gels, whatever) on top of the service fee for their time explaining to you.

Moodyman said:
Thanks guys - I regularly do all the things that you said, but it's taking the derailleurs off as well as cleaning & regreasing the hubs that I dread.

I guess the bike will tell me via strange noises when I need to overhaul those.

TBH the manufacturers set up hubs to last and pack them with good quality grease so you don't need to worry - however although they are a bit fiddly at first you soon get the hang of things if you did decide to overhaul them.

A good service would replace the bearings( if you are really keen you could replace the bearings with Grade 10 bearings which are used on the top hubs).

The Jockey Wheels are the main bit of the mechs that get clogged up - again it takes practice but it's amazing how much crud they pick up.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have you come across bicycletutor.com? Other places worth a scan include Park Tools site and Sheldon Brown - and there are some pretty good vids on youtube for some basics too.

Top Bottom