Protect the NHS, part 2. Reduce avoidable hospital admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think there's more to life than protecting the NHS. I feel sorry for people who will struggle to feed themselves and pay their mortgages/rent or may have lost their jobs due to all this. The NHS is overwhelmed every year with the winter beds crisis and we dont have all this.
Boris knew there wasnt enough staff for those Nightingale hospitals to function so why build them? the one in Glasgow has never seen a patient and cost nearly 50 million. The whole thing from start to where we are now has be an absolute joke.
An absolute joke? I'm struggling a little with your post. Yes the NHS faces significant pressure every winter but it is not overwhelmed.

If we didn't protect the NHS there is/was the potential for hospitals to be overwhelmed and simply not have the resources to care for people. Should we reach that situation despite the best efforts of many the Nightingale hospitals will be needed. It's called being prepared.

If we had overflowing hospitals and nowhere to put people you would then have something to complain about.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Nightingale hospitals are about keeping virus patients away from all the rest of the patients as much as anything. If they get swamped by coronavirus admissions they are not going to mix them all up with the regular punters in local hospitals who haven't got the virus. As well as providing more bedspace, it makes sense to keep large numbers of people with the same infection together. They can't infect someone else if all the other patients also have the same virus.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I went out for a ride today. Just sayin'

I stayed close to home and just repeatedly rode different routes up and down a local high point. I think my own concerns about riding during lockdown are probably more to do with having to rely on other means of getting home if I have an unfixable mechanical (which has happened to me - twice) rather than ending up in hospital (which has not).

Traffic was about what I'd expect for mid day Saturday. No noticeable reduction.

Last edited:
I went out for a ride today. Just sayin'

I stayed close to home and just repeatedly rode different routes up and down a local high point. I think my own concerns about riding during lockdown are probably more to do with having to rely on other means of getting home if I have an unfixable mechanical (which has happened to me) rather than ending up in hospital (which has not).

Traffic was about what I'd expect for mid day Saturday. No noticeable reduction.
the only unfixable mechanical which occurs to me is a tyre blowing off its wire rim fixing.
Strangely happened to me recently on a local shopping trip so i took a local london train back.
Maybe i should take a spare tyre on lockdown rides.
in truth i will cycle anywhere I want for however long. If the worst should happen i don't see the risk to me or anyone else being worse than a trip to shops or, if i was so inclined, a jaunt to one of the many flavours of bonkers hadtheirtime churches/temples whatever.

edit - post first 2 likes, the rim blowout happened after a puncture - i very probably fitted things badly on fixing it.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Nightingale Hospitals will never be in operation because there are not enough staff to work in them full stop.
I wonder why that is?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Boris [...] the one in Glasgow has never seen a patient and cost nearly 50 million.
The NHS Louisa Jourdan Hospital in Glasgow was set up by NHS Scotland, run by the Scottish Government, not Boris
I stayed close to home and just repeatedly rode different routes up and down a local high point. I think my own concerns about riding during lockdown are probably more to do with having to rely on other means of getting home if I have an unfixable mechanical (which has happened to me - twice) rather than ending up in hospital (which has not).
Clearly not worried about conking out uphill or crashing on a descent!
My club's ride captain ended up in hospital today after a crash on wet leaves.

Be careful out there ...
And does the "tread isn't necessary on bike tyres" myth get much support in that club?

Hope they mend well and soon.

Drago

Legendary Member
My club's ride captain ended up in hospital today after a crash on wet leaves.

Be careful out there ...
I don't wish him any ill and hope he recovers swiftly, but that is simply poor bikecraft. We should all be reading the surface upon which we are riding - a change in the colour, shade or texture of a surface indicates a change in grip levels.

I do think many people (not singling out this chap as I don't know him) when it comes to their own safety on the roads would benefit far more from some proper tuition than they would from caking themselves in florries and lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom