Protect the NHS, part 2. Reduce avoidable hospital admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What is really frightening is that these are skills that car drivers should also possess, yet so few of them do.

Modern cars are stuffed with electronic driver aids which make a lot of motorists think they are better drivers than they actually are, no matter how clumsily and ineptly they pilot their vehicle. I really learned the basics of driving on some old motors, with crossply tyres, drum brakes, and nothing in the way of arse-saving driver aids. It made you very aware of the limits of tyre grip and the risk of locking up wheels braking clumsily. When I came to do my car driving test it was in a modern tin box with servo disc brakes and it felt like driving a jelly compared to a leaf sprung Land Rover and Bedford TK lorry.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Bedford TK's. Love them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Bedford TK's. Love them.

They were well engineered motors, had really good manual steering and smooth progressive brakes. Just a bit too slow and not really geared for motorways! Top of the windscreen was a little bit low as well. Also had a few Ford D series at work too. They were f***ing horrible things. The TK was a Rolls Royce in comparison. I used to absolutely detest the Fords and would always use a TK or even a Series 2 Land Rover in preference.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Modern cars are stuffed with electronic driver aids which make a lot of motorists think they are better drivers than they actually are, no matter how clumsily and ineptly they pilot their vehicle. I really learned the basics of driving on some old motors, with crossply tyres, drum brakes, and nothing in the way of arse-saving driver aids. It made you very aware of the limits of tyre grip and the risk of locking up wheels braking clumsily. When I came to do my car driving test it was in a modern tin box with servo disc brakes and it felt like driving a jelly compared to a leaf sprung Land Rover and Bedford TK lorry.

Quite. I did love hooning round a track in a Nissan GTR recently - the car was incredibly fast, but all the super computers kept it where it needed to be. Now when I got in the Ariel Atom, with no driver aids, I drove super smooth - one mistake, you are off. Both were fun, but one needed an awful lot more concentration.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
AHEM, the petrolhead threads are thataway----->
Typical motorists - see any space allocated to cycling and they want to drive all over it!

boydj

Legendary Member

And does the "tread isn't necessary on bike tyres" myth get much support in that club?

It's not a myth. Tread isn't necessary on road bike tyres used on tarmac, wet or dry. And I doubt if tread would do much if riding without due care on wet leaves. The fall wasn't due to lack of tread.

straas

Matt
I've heard from a couple of people who have recently had reason to visit the MRI - based on what they've said, you'd really want to avoid having to use the A&E if at all possible.

Very little capacity, due to a number of factors. Increased covid admissions, staff having to isolate due to positive tests or close contact.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I recommend watching 'The Hospital' documentary on BBC/I-player about the Royal Free during the first wave (The first episodes broadcast a while back) and more recently filmed some weeks ago as they are trying to get mainstream operations etc. back in-play just as the second wave is imminent. It's harrowing stuff and not your normal infotainment feel-good prog. As a snapshot of what the NHS and its staff have to deal with on a minute by minute, day by day basis, it's quite eye opening....

I have not read right through this, so apologies in advance...
We are not here to protect the NHS, it is here to protect us. What WE must learn to do, pandemic or not, is to stop abusing it. What IT must learn to do is concentrate on healing the sick, preventing problems where possible, and not do things at all that do not fall into those two categories.
Having said that, no government has given the NHS the wherewithal to achieve this properly, ever. Not even the one that set it up...

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I have not read right through this, so apologies in advance...
We are not here to protect the NHS, it is here to protect us. What WE must learn to do, pandemic or not, is to stop abusing it. What IT must learn to do is concentrate on healing the sick, preventing problems where possible, and not do things at all that do not fall into those two categories.
Having said that, no government has given the NHS the wherewithal to achieve this properly, ever. Not even the one that set it up...
Abusing it? Have you required an operation or any really serious treatment within the last few years? Its not unusual here to wait 2 years plus for non emergency surgery. You wont even get the chance to abuse it because you wont even be treated. I don't think many people do abuse it honestly. Yes you might get people not turning up for appointments but thats usually due to lots of different reasons not wilful abuse or people being difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom