Protect the NHS, part 2. Reduce avoidable hospital admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
I don't wish him any ill and hope he recovers swiftly, but that is simply poor bikecraft. We should all be reading the surface upon which we are riding - a change in the colour, shade or texture of a surface indicates a change in grip levels.

I do think many people (not singling out this chap as I don't know him) when it comes to their own safety on the roads would benefit far more from some proper tuition than they would from caking themselves in florries and lights.

Gosh, there are a lot of assumptions there. If I stopped every time I saw wet leaves at the moment, I'd be bailing out every few hundred yards. I'm not sure that's practical in a group. :whistle:

Mike_P

Guru
To quote a comment I made for Lockdown 1.0 it's probably time to go for WRs than PRs, that WR being worse record

DRM

Guru
Gosh, there are a lot of assumptions there. If I stopped every time I saw wet leaves at the moment, I'd be bailing out every few hundred yards. I'm not sure that's practical in a group. :whistle:
It’s not stopping for wet leaves, it’s being aware of what’s ahead, risk assessing the road surface and riding accordingly, for example a dark stain under trees can indicate sap on the road , leaves, well that’s a given, they’re lethal, rainbow pattern, especially on curves usually spilt diesel, it’s worse than ice, then backing off as needed, most people who have done a lot of off road riding have developed the technique of scanning up the road about 30 to 40 feet ahead then back down to about 3 feet in front of your front wheel,
hopefully the ride leader is ok and is unhurt.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It’s not stopping for wet leaves, it’s being aware of what’s ahead, risk assessing the road surface and riding accordingly, for example a dark stain under trees can indicate sap on the road , leaves, well that’s a given, they’re lethal, rainbow pattern, especially on curves usually spilt diesel, it’s worse than ice, then backing off as needed, most people who have done a lot of off road riding have developed the technique of scanning up the road about 30 to 40 feet ahead then back down to about 3 feet in front of your front wheel,
hopefully the ride leader is ok and is unhurt.

As have all the "roadies" I ride with, it's good basic cycle craft easily applied riding solo or in a group. In a group it's obviously a case of putting trust in the guys in front but that's a given anyway.

Ice is the really difficult one and it's too mild now.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Clearly not worried about conking out uphill or crashing on a descent!
I can assure you I do worry about crashing on descents, as my brake pads will attest. I'm not worried about conking out uphill cos I don't know what it means 😁

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Probably excessive speed was involved. Some roadies just don't seem to understand the need to take it easy and keep the cornering or braking forces down. They just go balls out, even riding out of the saddle with the bike moving from side to side, and hope for the best. If you haven't got good traction, you can't transmit the forces between the bike and the surface. It's very rare you'll go sliding if freewheeling or light pedalling a bike in a straight line, even on wet leaves. it's trying to accelerate hard, brake, or corner that tends to break the tractive limit.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Its the edges of the roads that have this leaf mulch, just ride out further into the road, whats behind will just have to slow down and wait a bit. It gets really slippery because it freezes over then thaws all the time.

Drago

Legendary Member
One does not need to stop. A skilled rider will recognise the visual indicators in a surface with differing levels of grip, and will adjust their riding to accommodate this. I teach this sort of thing to EMS cyclists and not one has yet needed to stop.

Fall off and faceplant because you've just blindly barrelled onwards and you'll definitely need to stop, and possibly even stop in hospital.

What is really frightening is that these are skills that car drivers should also possess, yet so few of them do.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What is really frightening is that these are skills that car drivers should also possess, yet so few of them do.
I think I have said this on the forum before, but it's worth repeating. I like to drive enthusiastically from time to time, find the limits, know how my cars feel and behave when it all gets a bit 'iffy' and 'vague'. Driving in the wet, no problem. Bit of an oily patch on a corner, predictable and boring. Frost, ice and snow, well it isn't surprising considering the ambient temperatures, child's play really. I encourage my wife to do the same and explain the reasons for doing this, but she just doesn't get 'it'. Doesn't like it, won't practice it (at times of safety, obviously).
Come winter and I am equally amused and frustrated by my fellow road users slipping and sliding uncontrollably while I plough my path safely and dependably in my 'normal' family car and the chunky 4x4 stays at home. It's not fool proof but it really isn't rocket science!

Likewise, riding on two wheels. It is usually very, very predictable when grip is going to be lost and appropriate riding will avoid any unexpected interactions with the ground. Only problem is that a minor slip on two wheels is much more likely to result in a 'Oh Sh!t' moment than similar on 4 wheels, so an ounce more caution is required by motor and pedal cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom