Protect the NHS, part 2. Reduce avoidable hospital admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We need far better access to G.Ps than we currently get, prior to lockdown it was 3 weeks wait for an appointment at mine.Surgeries need to be open longer hours and have blood tests available two or three times a week. They should really be minor injuries centres that would take the pressure away from the local A&E.
I quite agree that better access is required. On the blood tests point this may well be available "on demand" via the practice nurse.

My rural GP practice has someone in this position who deals with many different things which don't require a GP's attention - blood tests, vaccinations, overseas travel jabs and annual health checks as examples.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ever tried golf on a bike?

There's bicycle polo. That must be fairly dangerous. I heard two riders drowned only last week

D

Deleted member 26715

Same day when needed generally at mine this year, but I'd agree that everywhere should have this level of service.
Ours now triaged via an online form, followed up by a phone call (as above) which I would hope filter out some of the people who shouldn't really be attending. But I would imagine it won't suit everybody

vickster

Legendary Member
My last appointment with the GP nurse couldn't possibly be virtual :blush: I was invited to make an appointment by text and letter

I have had Zoom appointments with a physio (to triage prior to in-person) and a surgeon though (the latter had to be followed by in-person so wasn't ideal) and a telephone follow up with another surgeon (which may also need a face-face follow up) (all privately, not NHS)

Tele-medicine has its place certainly but not for all issues/situations

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
My two most recent GP appointments have been over the phone, which is a great way if practicable.
Aye, but when your phone is as big as mine the prostate exam can make your eyes water.

Julia9054

Guru
Sometimes phone and video calls are better. Al needed advice on what over the counter antihistamines he could take that wouldn’t clash with his bp meds. GP phoned back same day. In the olden days he would have had to make an appointment. Son had a sore throat, GP could diagnose tonsillitis and prescribe antibiotics after he stuck his phone camera down his throat. My mum found a lump in her breast. The GP spoke to her on the phone the same day and referred her without needing to see her.
At my surgery, they seem to be able to speak to you on the phone the same day. You would never have been able to get a same day face to face appointment.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
At the risk of swerving back to the original topic (briefly, please):

View: https://twitter.com/Kentroadsafety/status/1326207997169856513?s=20

Am I alone in being slightly put out that this is pitched as being for the benefit of the NHS rather than the otherwise maimed pedestrians and cyclists? Presumably once the current bed shortage is over all the Kentish motorists can return to driving with gay abandon.

Edit to add: I’ve just seen their earlier victim blaming tweet about the need for cyclists to dress like bin men. Even worse.

View: https://twitter.com/Kentroadsafety/status/1326119672933183490

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
They are now cost centres with so called business managers in charge, providing health care is now secondary, making money is their primary function it now seems, so many layers of red tape have been introduced the Russians would be proud.

That's not *quite* true. What *is* true is that when Blair was in charge, funding got changed a *lot*. Instead of just being commissioned by the NHS to provide medical services, Practice based commissioning was introduced. This meant that GP practices could bid to provide Primary Care Services in addition to their core functions. Then in 2010/11 under Cameron, this was enhanced even further allowing GP Partners to essentially become self-employed and take "drawings" from their businesses out of profits, thus allowing GP partners to earn more than salaried GPs. To ensure profitability the role of Practice Manager has been somewhat changed in function to be more like a business manager.

So, providing healthcare is still the primary function of a GP practice as that is the key source of funding. It's just that Practices can negotiate to provide additional services which carry additional funding, and if they can deliver healthcare more cheaply then the partners can make more money.

It is argued that this system delivers best value for the tax payer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom